1943 Newfoundland MS63 Cameo Dime - What's it worth?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Savy, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any idea of what this is worth?
    6a0037ce-91e6-4468-9681-011b17dd9807.jpg bbc35faf-af0a-4de8-9c1e-d5dcf0d4728d.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Why does the package say 10 cents but the reverse on the coin says 5 cents?

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

And can a MS coin be cameo?

5. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Seems questionable...

6. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

Nice catch. I guess it's an error by the grading company.

7. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

I think so, as I'm pretty sure ICCS (the graders of this coin) are a big Canadian grading service and probably know what they're doing.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I've heard good things about this company (although I've always found their "holders" on the cheesy side) in regards to conservative standards, but do not have the experience with them, or Canadian coins in general, to have formed an educated personal opinion.

As for a value, I assume you've tried searching for completed offerings? If not, this would probably be a wise start. It is my understanding that such holders are generally more accepted in Canada than here, so perhaps a search with a northern focus would be in order.

Savy likes this.
  9. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

I have looked around but haven't found much. I really wish I remembered what I paid for it, but that was ages ago. Thanks for the help.

10. Markus1959

11. Markus1959

12. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Error Label :woot:

Markus1959 likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I thought you probably had, and know they didn't make huge numbers of these things, so I can't say I'm that surprised with the lack of results unfortunately.

Perhaps, and perhaps not... I suppose much would depend upon the actual standards used by the Canadian company coupled with collector acceptance. Again, Canadian is not an area I am vastly familair with, but the "cameo" designation intrigues me, and makes me wonder if, perhaps, this is their way of assigning a PL designation. If so, we could reasonably compare this to how NGC will designate coins other than Morgans as PL while PCGS does not. An NGC designated PL will almost certainly bring higher prices than that very same coin would if residing in non-designated PCGS plastic, so to simply assume NGC's listed values are "overpriced" (or in the example, PCGS) without taking all factors into consideration, could be folly. Now, I'm certainly not saying this is the case, but only that it's something the OP should look into. Perhaps the cameo designation means little and has no real effect on price/value, but it would be unfortunate for her to assume the worst and possibly leave money on the table, especially if her desire is to sell.

It is also possible that an NGC or PCGS 63 is not the same as what this company would assign, and is another reason why she should compare only apples to apples unless someone genuinely in the know (and not just pretending, as we see all too often here) tells her differently.

Savy likes this.
  15. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

16. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I believe in this case "cameo" simply means proof-like. Which is still unusual as ICCS does use the PL designation on coins they grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted