1943 Jefferson nickel metal composition question, 54S, 54D/D?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by i2i, Jun 19, 2019.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think the only way you will be satisfied is to have an XRF test done on the coin. If it comes back something you want slabbed and verified, the TPG company would have to use their certified testing lab ( I do not know that cost) to have it put on the slab. There are people who own a XRF device and provide a service for fees with no guarantees for much less to satisfy your curiosity. Your only protection is what eBay provides.

Jim

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XRF-METAL-...693969?hash=item46964326d1:g:X40AAOSwmLlX~pJ7

Spark1951 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I don't know what the current rush is here in terms of, wrong planchet, foreign planchet, experimental planchet, wrong composition, etc.
    These things are incredibly rare and not 1 coin has shown to be on a different planchet. It's only 100% that your war nickels are all normal war nickel composition. You Tube videos notwithstanding. (Cough, cough.)
    You don't realize that there are hundreds of millions of these things, every single person thinks they have the 1 special thing (if it exists at all and I doubt that it does) and the odds are just astronomical. As for your remark to get educated, maybe you don't know as much as you think you do.
    Experimental planchets don't get circulated. But even though your coins look like every other war nickel, you just happen to have a 1 in a billion coin.
    The war nickels have a variety of patinas, because of the composition.

Spark1951, thomas mozzillo and wxcoin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted