1943 die crack?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by longarm, Feb 5, 2016.

1. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Here's another wheat cent I've come across lately and it looks as if it could be a die crack, 1943rev-1.JPG 1943rev-2.JPG 1943rev-3.JPG 1943obv-1.JPG I appreciate any opinions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is a die crack - die cracks are raised. The crack is to the left. The line to the right of it in the coin is a gouge, damage from circulation after it left the mint.

coinman1234 likes this.
  4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Also, The coin looks like a "replated" one. Some companies would replate them to make them look nicer, than sell them. Unfortunately, the replating ruins any value it would have.

Paul M. and Markus1959 like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

What they said.

6. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

Hey coinman, did you say it is replated because of the thickness on the devices? Learning. And that thickness caught my eye.

coinman1234 likes this.
  7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

That and the surfaces just look wrong. Compare it to a nice mint state coin and you'll see a distinct difference.

8. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Yup, That's the big reason why I think it is replated. It looks more like a chrome plated doorknob than a shiny coin. Also, a cent with that much wear should not be that reflective.

Markus1959 likes this.
  9. Markus1959

Except where the plating has worn off on the high points on the obverse

coinman1234 likes this.
  10. Markus1959

Was just wondering if this coin was part of a bezel or belt buckle or some type of jewelry item at one time as the reverse looks very nice compared to the plated worn obverse.

coinman1234 likes this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Replated 1943 cents are easy to determine by looking at the edge of the coins. The surface of the original feed metal was plated before punching, so the edges of an original surface cent should be visible steel core. If all one sees is zinc plating, it was replated outside of the mint. In the 60s when such services were in all coin magazines, they stressed that cleaned or uncirculated coins were best to replate.

coinman1234 likes this.
  12. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

Reason I was keen to this is because I recently had the opportunity to look at those worthless gold plated normal circulated coins that snake oil salesman peddled awhile back. They looked like the best real maple syrup you could buy going over a cold pancake. Thick!

coinman1234 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted