1943-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar strike quality

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

For the Walker nuts out there. I recently came across a really nice 1943-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar. I have not pulled the trigger on it yet. What is really appealing to me is the strike. From what I could find by looking at CoinFacts, it seems that the '43-D is not a very well struck coin. Would a very nicely full struck coin be worth buying at a premium over retail? I'm not talking much over retail, probably around 10% or so. But if the '43-D is notorious for softer strikes then I may just jump on this opportunity.

Here are some samples of the coin in question. These are from the sellers images.

Head.jpg Hand.jpg Breast.jpg

ddddd, Eric White and dwhiz like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I think a 10% premium is worth it for such a sharply struck Walker of *any* date. Check out how few Walkers you can actually see the thumb on.

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Do it don't wait I might find it LOL

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The '43 D is a bad strike, not as bad as the 41S, 42 S and 43 S but still rather poorly struck

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

SingleShot0026 (2).jpg

Insider and Paul M. like this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Paul M. likes this.
  8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Now if had been me I would have said - THE thumb, not that thumb :D

Paul M. and Insider like this.
  9. Eric White

Eric White Active Member

Really nice, the feather details on the breast on reverse. Hard to find, most are worn smooth, or without much detail. I would definitely snatch that one up.

10. jtlee321

I pulled the trigger on it. It was just too much to pass up. I'll post images when I get it in hand. I think I got a good deal on it even though I paid right at retail for it. I can't wait for it to arrive. I might do a guess the grade on it when it does get here.

medjoy and Paul M. like this.
  11. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I was able to find the coin on eBay last night so I will not spoil the grade if you want to do a GTG.

12. jtlee321

Cheater!! LOL.. What do you think of it? You can PM me if you would like.

13. Yankee42

I think he did very well I was impressed.

14. Yankee42

I went in the basement and pulled my Whitman book. It states that most 43-Ds are "fairly well struck" with 70% of the head and left hand details. Yours is definitely more than that.

15. jtlee321

Thank you for the kind words. I am anxiously awaiting for it to arrive. I hope I read the images correctly, as I think I will be happy with more than just the strike. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted