1943-D/D/D Jefferson Nickel GEM BU 6FS (RPM-003)(VP-002)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lehigh96, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I found another Jefferson Nickel RPM while processing an album. This one appears to be a 1943-D/D/D RPM-003 VP-002. According to Variety Vista, it is a D/D/D both East and West. I grade this example MS65 6FS (see photos below).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The RPM is a little tough to see with my mintmark photo, but the coin appears to be stage B with two corresponding die cracks that match those listed by VarietyVista. I have shown my photos in comparison with those from VarietyVista for review.

My photo of the RPM:
    [​IMG]

NGC Variety Plus photo of RPM:
    [​IMG]

VarietyVista photo of RPM:
    [​IMG]

My photo of Stage B Die Crack on face behind eye:
    [​IMG]

VarietyVista photo of Stage B Die Crack on face behind eye:
    [​IMG]

My photo of Stage B Die Crack in hair:
    [​IMG]

VarietyVista photo of Stage B Die Crack in hair:
    [​IMG]

Please let me know if you disagree with this attribution as I will be submitting it for certification next week. Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Fun coin. Great images.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You know a lot more about this stuff than I do...who are you sending it to?

5. Lehigh96

NGC for sure, I am working on a Jefferson War Nickel Registry Set with Varieties. My set is currently ranked 4th and I have 6 top pops in the set.

6. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great variety. Very nice looking as well and congrats on your registry set.

ps. I don't really do nickels but I won a wartime set of 11 MS nickels in 2019 and 4 were varieties. Nothing like your registry set but I was tickled pink. Group_Front1inCapitolHolder_wVarietyLabels.JPG

capthank, Heavymetal and Lehigh96 like this.
  7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great pics nice coin thanks for sharing.

8. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Agree, very nice!

9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have all of the War Time Nickels except for the nickels that have special attributes. Mainly, because I don't have a clue what they are. I guess, if I ever have time to do the research, I will see which Wartime Nickels I still need to get. All of the ones I have are NGC MS 65 or better. I was lucky (or not), my neighbor's mother passed away and their father was a coin collector and her mother didn't want to sell any of her husbands things. My mother did the same thing about my father's coin collection.

Lehigh96 and Cliff Reuter like this.
  10. Cliff Reuter

Cliff Reuter Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the great images & congrats on the high-ranking registry set.

And thanks for the closeups of the markers. It's nice to see clear closeups of the markers since other markers may be visible that aren't on VV.

BTW- I didn't think NGC put the variety on the label unless they had FS numbers. Is there a way to get them to add the variety number to the label?

11. Mark A Williams

Mark A Williams Active Member

Very nice 43 D war time issue. The set is also wonderful!

12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Nice coin, go for it. Let us know the outcome good luck and thanks for sharing!

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  13. Lehigh96

Thank you for your comments. To my knowledge, NGC puts only the RPM and the Variety Plus number on the label. This coin would be labeled 1943-D/D/D VP-002. There are some major varieties where they still use the Fivaz-Stanton numbers, in which case they list both the FS and VP numbers.

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Where do u find these coins. You work had for what get

Dynoking and Cliff Reuter like this.
  15. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

@Lehigh96 beautiful wartime Jeff. Congrats.

The steps on that piece are outstanding. Gotta love it. At the same time the strike on Monticello is still weak, as expected, even with the 6FS. Just amazing how that works.

Please excuse me, no disrespect intended. I just don't see the D/D/D. I've looked hard at your pix and I can't come up with it. It's probably just my aging, declining, geriatric eyesight.

Best of luck on the attribution. I hope you'll post the results in this thread.

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  16. Lehigh96

Well, I struck out on this one, and they didn't give me 6FS either. Oh well, better luck next time.

[​IMG]

Kentucky and masterswimmer like this.
  17. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Doesn't make it any less of a beautiful coin. I still like it, a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted