1943 Copper Plated Steel Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Mark479, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Mark479

Mark479 Member

I am not at all familiar with the 1943 experimental cents. Advice would be appreciated.

Pictures were taken outside in natural light with no filters etc.

This cent sparked my interest when I weighed it today, 2.80 gm.

Could this be the real McCoy, a copper plated steel cent? If so it would be the second know if it’s kind? Highly unlikely, yes I know. Anyhow, it is interesting.

Copper Cent- 3.11gm

Steel Cent- 2.70gm

This cent- 2.80gm

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A copper plated 1943 cent is not worth much. The 1943 cent made of copper is the real money coin.

capthank likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Your coin is worth .01-.05 cents.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

This is an ad from a coin magazine in 1962. As long as the owner sent in his own coin it was deemed legal, there were probably 1000's done by this and other companies.

Jim

proxy.jpg

capthank and Mark479 like this.
  6. desertgem

As a curiosity , it does appear yours was circulated a while after the copper was plated on. Jim

Evan Saltis and Mark479 like this.
  7. Mark479

Mark479 Member

I’m know that it isn’t a 1943 copper cent.

There are other examples, the experimental cents for 1943

1) Steel planchet coated with a combination of Zinc, Antimony, and Iron weighing 2.7 grams

2)Copper plated Steel cent weighing 2.8 grams.

8. Mark479

Mark479 Member

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The coin was altered after it left the mint.

10. Mark479

Mark479 Member

Interesting read!

11. Mark479

Mark479 Member

Very possible, but unlikely in this case. This particular coin is in the same condition now that it was when found, prior to 1962. It belonged to my father-in-law.

12. desertgem

I was intending to point out it was being done for a long time Any one can also do it with a copper ion solution and electrical current, so maybe it is a jeweler's production.

Also remember the weight has mint tolerances so that the '43 steel cents could weight from 2.70 -.13 grams ) 2.57 to (2.70 + .13 grams ) 2.83 grams.

Whereas a copper would be ( 3.11-.13) 2.98 low to ( 3.11+ .13 ) 3.24 high wt.

Jim

capthank and Mark479 like this.
  13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Experimental cents are not put into circulation.
    The last experimental cent (aluminum 1974) was deemed illegal and confiscated.

14. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Mark, read this. I was just researching this myself and found out about it. It appears there was only one(at least only one has been found) and, Yes, it is believed to be an experimental cent. A kid found it in his yard in the 1950's.
    The mint, in a search to replace copper in the cent coin, experimented in 1942 with several different materials including plastic. The Tin/Antimony alloy was one of those experiments.
    1943_steel_cent

Mark479 likes this.
  15. Mark479

Mark479 Member

Then explain how one was authenticated in 2017

16. Mark479

Mark479 Member

Thank you for taking the time to read the article.

17. Hookman

I followed the link and read the entire article.

My best takeaway from the article is the confirmation by two very credible sources, that an XRF gun DOES actually shoot through a coin and gives a full analysis of the coins content.
    I've had discussions with several members here on Coin Talk !! who insist that an XRF gun only shoots the surface of the coin and thus, only gives the surface content.

Be that as it may, the article confirms the existence of the Tin/Antimony coin but refuses to confirm it as a mint experimental coin.

Very interesting article. Highly recommended.

I must correct myself when I quote Wiki as saying that the Tin/Antimony coin was found in the 1950's. I rechecked Wiki and both Wiki and this article actually report the finding year as 1969.

I stand corrected and apologize for my error.

Mark479 likes this.
  18. Hookman

Mark, experimental coins ARE NOT put into circulation......officially. They find their way outside of the mint with the help of mint employees.

Mint employees do understand the value of.....different....and not normal.....items that are produced at the mint, their workplace.
    I have no proof, only supposition, but items like these are......pocketed.....and removed from the mint by mint employees, who may keep them forever or eventually sell them.I'm sure that any mint employee caught doing this would be immediately fired.

Mark, have you seen the screws stamped with coins that made it out into the "free world".
    They were actually certified by some TPGs.

Michael K likes this.
  19. Mark479

Mark479 Member

Thanks for reading. I found it quite interesting myself. I appreciate your time and input, Mark

20. Mark479

Mark479 Member

I was unaware, very interesting.

21. Mark479

Mark479 Member

I can assure you that my father-in-law did not work at the mint, lol. He worked for Exxon/Mobil, electrical engineer.

Draft saved Draft deleted