1943 Copper Penny Found

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jpodles7, Jun 14, 2012.

1. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

He is a little busy right now....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jpodles7

jpodles7 Member

Im just curious

4. jpodles7

jpodles7 Member

Ill be back sunday and ill tell you what i get monday when i pick up the mail (its on hold), i also sent in a 1909 s VDB so ill let you guys know how that goes as well

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Coins, coins, coins. How did the race go?

6. jpodles7

jpodles7 Member

it went ok, we are done racing but we ended up beating the boat that kept us from qualifying in a later race. So we are just watching now and i brought some of my collection to keep me busy :)

7. slippinin

slippinin New Member

Here's mine I found recently in some rolls. I'm gonna be rich.
    1943fakecopperwheat.jpg

8. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I love the file name of your penny...

9. slippinin

slippinin New Member

I didn't want anyone to think it was actually real. :)
    It has the weight of the steel one. I kept it anyway. If it had been real you would have heard about it way before now.

10. jpodles7

jpodles7 Member

hahahaha good catch

11. jpodles7

jpodles7 Member

Coins came back from NGC. 1943 body bagged but... it says they were unable to authenticate, not "Fake" so im glad, im gonna hold onto it, on the brigter side my s VDB came back in a slab, also me and my friend have bee coin roll hunting and i thought id share that we found two indian heads AND A FAKE COPPER 43 IN A BANK ROLL Can you believe that? we almost died until i saw that it was a casting, the edges were way off and there were casting bubbles but it was just amazing to find it, how the heck did it get in there?

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

NGC don't body bag nothin' anymore, but rather give the good ol' details slab. If this coin came back 'body bagged' it tells me it was beneath their dignity to grade/authenticate it.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

No, not "Fake", rather, unable to authenticate!

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

http://www.cointalk.com/t208376-3/
    Please see post #34 of this previous CT thread. TPGs designate coins as "questionable authenticity" due to the fact that if they labeled it as a forgery or fake it would have to then be sent to the authorities.

My initial post in this thread stated my opinion of the copper 1943 cent. IMO the coin appeared like it was a genuine copper cent struck with counterfeit dies. I believe that a few others at CT shared that opinion. That is still my opinion of the coin.

I would also refer you to your post #15 in this thread:
    http://www.cointalk.com/t208007/

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Not so, Greenie. If NGC is unable to confirm that it is real, it would come back in a bodybag rather than a details slab.

Chris

16. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Send it to SGS. Not only will they authenticate it, they'll label it MS70RD.

17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I bet for a few bucks, if it wasn't red before they could even make it red FOR you. :)

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Does it say "unable to authenticate" or "questionable authenticity" Big difference in meaning. Another question did they refund your fees on it? In the rare cases where they are unable to come to a decision they normally refund the fees.

19. jpodles7

jpodles7 Member

Ill have to get the letter but the gentleman at the shop would hve got the refund because he paid

20. CAL

CAL Member

Just wondering; is it possible for somebody to get a blank planchet predating 1982, make a cast of a 1943 steel cent, and use the image to strike a counterfeit?

21. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

there are folks that can make dies that are about impossible to tell from the real mint dies , we have to be careful when buying coins , even slabbed coins. sometimes coins are taken apart and altered then put back together . this is what the coin in this thread looks like it may be too me because of the extra letters.I'm just guessing at it because it is hard to say for sure on this one from photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted