1943 copper penny found!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by khmer, Jun 12, 2010.

1. snaz

snaz Registry fever

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth"

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Well go ahead and have it checked out, I'm sure everyone here hopes that it's real b/c it would be really cool just to have someone on our forum find something that great. There were only a handful minted in 43 and a few have been accounted for, there's only one or two left. good luck to you!

4. panda

panda Junior Member

i really suggest you just send it in, so you don't waste gas. i have a feeling when the dealer tells you its fake you are not going to believe him. and if its real it needs to be sent in anyway for anyone to believe its real. definitely needs to, if you ever plan on selling it. you can't just say "jon smith at smittys world of coins says its real and so do i, so it has to be". that will not work out so well.

good luck... and let us know.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor Supporter

Khmer,
    We all hope for the best for you and the coin, but the expectations given are the best you can get for a freebie. Sending it in is your best bet of a result you can accept. Thanks for showing it.

Jim

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What gets me are the weak rims. The presses were set for coining the much harder steel planchets. The relatively soft copper planchets would strike up much sharper under this higher pressure and the rims should be full, sharp, and almost squared off like a proof. There should be little or no beveling on the edge. This coin does not show that.

Coindoge likes this.
  7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Khmer get it graded that the only way to know it real.

8. goossen

goossen Senior Member

It doesn't look real for me. The lettering on both sides looks weird. And there is an emphasis on the year, comparing with the rest of writing.

9. ice

ice Just happy to be here

The word God is much lower than the rest of IN God We Trust. Something about that just doesn't look right my eye is drawn to it everytime I look at the coin

10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Bigger images would help, try photo bucket or image shack :)

11. umn25

umn25 ANA #3154232

the OP's coin and the HA Auction coin; the OP's lettering looks too big...

[​IMG]

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

If you made the 2 images the same size, the lettering would look a lot better. You have the OP's coin 20% larger than Heritage's.

13. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

That's a darned good fake. Aside from what others have pointed out, the one thing that jumps out at me is that I can't see the full trench that is normally quite conspicuous in certain areas. You can definitely see it on the Heritage coin.

14. jpodles7

jpodles7 Member

You have 3 real copper 1943's? pics? thats huge...

15. jpodles7

jpodles7 Member

I think your coin could be real, and i also think people need to stop saying its fake before looking at the pictures, its stupid, i think people here get jealous of amateurs finding insanely rare coins but when you throw the word fake around like a ball (not saying names here) because of your stupidity and jealousy you are probably responsible for the disposal of a real copper '43! how does that feel? bad huh? so stop throwing fake at every coin posted in this forum because you want it and are jealous and just give honest opinions or shut your mouth. phrases like "Counterfeit, Nothing looks right" are not helpful give some examples or you just look stupid and ignorant.

16. CopperJacket

CopperJacket New Member

They're being locial, not stupid and ignorant. The chances of finding a 1943 copper cent are so atronomically slim I would consider them fools not to be a little suspicius. I am not not saying it's impossible, just extremly improbable. Don't be so easy to accept... you might be burned in the future...

-C.J.

17. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Please... this thread is two years old. Don't you think if the OP's coins were genuine the numismatic community would have heard about it?

18. A.J.

A.J. Member

Generally I would agree with you, but in the case of a 1943 copper cent found in circulation, the odds are so overwhelmingly against that it is perfectly rational to assume it is fake sight unseen.

19. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title]

Yes...yes I do.

20. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

And we all know what they say about Assuming anything. Bet you didnt know that there is a gentleman in SE Michigan who has several of the 1943 Coppers. Actually he already sold a few via Heritage over the past few years. Guess where he got them? I will tell you he didnt purchase them. Are they still out there? I venture to say there are some still floating around in piggy banks across the states. Until somebody can provide me with a number struck vs. a number known.. I am a firm believer. Odds ARE against finding one that's for dang sure.. but so are the odds of getting hit by lightening, winning the lottery or having the hottest chick on the planet falling in love with you or me.

Lets take a look at something just for a second and I will pick on Matt, he is a coin dealer and a moderator here so I am sure he wont mind this little exercise. Lets say Matt has just purchased 4-5 bags of wheaties from a 80 year old man who has decided it time to let go of a few things.. yes,,, Matt has done this and so have hundreds of other dealers across the USA.

Does Matt assume that there are no 1909SVDB, 1914D or 1922 Plains in the bags? Perhaps he would just flip the bags for a profit and not look back. would the next guy look? of course, sooner or later somebody is gonna take the time to see if there is a key cent in the bag.. WHOA, here is a 1914D, well we all know finding one is impossible so this person just tosses it back in the bag because he ASSUMES its fake?

If you found a 1943 Copper cent would you just assume its fake and toss it or would you investigate? I know my answer and I also know the answer of probably 99.9% of the collectors.

Seems I recall a gal a few years ago in this very forum finding a 1922 Plain in a lot she picked up somewhere. One would think that after 80 years that they are all accounted for and in collections or dealers for sale list..

21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Great post, Jim.

I have no patience for the first time posters here that will argue that they have found the holy grail and call the many pros here stupid for not believing them, but will not take the time or spend the money to send their holy grail for authentication and prove the CTer's wrong.
    When they act like that, added to the odds of actually finding such a coin, it's no wonder that everyone here jumps on the "fake" bandwagon.

Draft saved Draft deleted