1943 copper fake

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Cazador, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Cazador

Cazador Supporter! Supporter

I found this coin roll hunting it weighs 2.67 g and it is magnetic. I guess my question is is this coin still worth keeping as a fake upload_2021-6-22_20-1-48.jpeg upload_2021-6-22_20-1-49.jpeg

sel w, Stevearino, Bayern and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You can keep whatever you want.
    Interesting piece.

sel w, TonkawaBill and Kevin Mader like this.
  4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Poor plating job.
    Got a magnet?
    Oh, I see you do. Fake

TonkawaBill likes this.
  5. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

You need a gold plated 1883 "No Cents" Liberty Nickel to go with it. :)

sel w, John Burgess, CygnusCC and 3 others like this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

7. Cazador

95 cents i’ll sell you mine for 75 cents and still make a good profit Thanks everyone

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It was washed with a bronze wash or copper plate.
    Worth keeping as a conversation piece. I would have it in a 2x2 with
    a label that clearly states it is a steel cent.
    The weight is right for steel, and the magnet is right for steel.
    Remember, there are a million times more fakes than real copper 1943s.
    Why not keep it? What else can you do with it?

sel w, Mountain Man and ZoidMeister like this.
  9. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

What a dirty trick. Imagine coming across one of these in your change. Initially in the back of my mind I'd suspect it a fake, but the wheels still would be turning as to what I would do with the money if it turned out to be real. Just like buying a lottery ticket. Initially when purchasing the ticket, in the back of my mind I know I won't win, but the wheels still would be turning as to what I would do with the money if the ticket turned out to win the jackpot.

10. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I have one of those, I don't have the copper plated 43 cent though :(

sel w and yakpoo like this.
  11. Cazador

Oh yeah when I put it on the microscope my mind went racing it is a dirty trick

12. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I found mine during a CRH event. I knew about fakes by then so no moment of excitement. And I keep a magnet handy for Canadian cents so the confirmation check was quick. I also recall that the tint/tone of the copper looked off amongst the other cents from that roll. Pretty much everything screamed fake and it was. But I popped it in a flip as a novelty find like my two headed nickels.

sel w and love old coins like this.
  13. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i bought a 43-d in au condition from china for 13.50, i thought it was neat, not intending any fraud, it is copper

sel w likes this.
  14. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Apparently many of these were done in the early 1960's, as a novelty item, so originally not meant to be deceptive. I don't know if the packaged one above from ZoidMeister is from these early years, or from a later time, though.

sel w and ZoidMeister like this.
  15. VistaCruiser69

I'm sure they weren't meant to be deceptive. What I'm thinking is more so now, someone finds one of these in grandma & grandpa's old junk drawer and deliberately throws it into circulation thinking "just wait until someone comes across this little gem in their change.....lol."

sel w likes this.
  16. VistaCruiser69

Same thing happened to me when I came across the two headed quarter a few years ago. Turned out to be the infamous magicians coin, as per CT.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    sel w likes this.
  17. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

If it were mine, I'd keep it in a flip with a note on the insert saying "if it were only real, it'd be worth ?????".

Interesting find.

sel w likes this.
  18. VistaCruiser69

Just like what my aunt who lives on a farm did years ago. Spray painted a dried up cow patty gold, hung it up with a sign that read: "if all that glitter was real gold".

19. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I have to agree 100% with what @Michael K posted.

sel w likes this.
  20. VistaCruiser69

Add it in with the other 49 pennies to complete the roll and bring it to the bank in exchange for either two quarters or with another penny roll, get a buck back. That's what I'd do with it. For the next person to come across it and, well, you know, dream about winning the lottery for at least a few hours. Just as long as it stays in circulation, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

sel w likes this.
  21. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Yup, I think my Dad bought it when I was a kid. Probably late 60's. It has been in his safe / the family collection for as long as I can remember. That is the original packaging and a buck was a LOT of money back then. You could get 3 or 4 gallons of gasoline for that.

Z

sel w likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted