1943 copper cent - nonmagnetic

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Neville26, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I guess it is easier to alter an 8, than to remove a digit and add a 3.
    Untitled.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1916D10C

1916D10C Key Date Mercs are Life! 1916-D/1921-D/1921

Yes, a common contemporary fraud, and often seen on spurious 1916-D Dimes. A con artist would have a tool akin to a pair of needle nose pliers, with a mint mark punch affixed to one of the jaws. One would then take a genuine 1916-P Dime, and a small hole would be drilled into the rim close to where the mint mark would be located. The jaw with the punch was then inserted into the hole, and the shyster would simply "squeeze" a mint mark out of the metal.

Fortunately they are pretty apparent to the discerning eye under 10x magnification and up.

Concerning the coin in the OP, I have my bet on it being a forgery. As someone already mentioned the '3' in the date looks extremely suspicious.

4. Neville26

Neville26 New Member

Some better pictures.

Attached Files:

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Here is a fake a local dealer asked me to check and I took these. 43fakeobv.JPG

43fakedate.JPG

43fakerev-1.JPG

43fakespue.JPG

Jim

1916D10C likes this.
  6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

7. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

The 3s look very similar.

Some people collect fakes and such "abnormalities".
    I have some Henning nickels, known counterfeits.
    I also have some large silver coins that are commonly faked. Coins that I need to get x-rayed.
    Coins such as the Austrian Theresa Thalers, the French Indo-Chine Piastre trade dollars, Morgans, etc..

Maybe the book the coin was found in just happened to have a fake coin because the previous owner knew it was fake and was just keeping it for "fun".

Who really knows?

Neville26 likes this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I would keep it also as for interest. Unfortunately for me the dealer had to have it back to get his retainer back :)

9. Neville26

Neville26 New Member

So it seems consensus is it’s not even worth getting checked professionally?

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Many of the people who gave you answers are extremely knowledgably. You can try elsewhere or spend (waste) money sending it a TPG, but you would be wasting your time

Neville26 likes this.
  11. Neville26

Neville26 New Member

I know they all are, just was looking for a definitive answer :) thanks everyone.

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Remember there are very few of these. And the ones that are known, are all listed, documented, etc. While a new discovery is possible, there are millions of fakes and altered coins and pretty much anytime anyone thinks they have one of these, it's not going to be genuine. But when it's in your possession, you want to believe.

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted