1943 Copper Cent Fake or Real

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ranger10x, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

If there's money to be made, some people will swear by the fake, even when it's obviously a fake. On this old example, the tooling marks on the 8/3 are in your face.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RD302

RD302 Member

It looks like a 1923 to me too.

4. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

welcome to CT. i really hope its the real deal. i would send it to one of the grading companys. until you do that i found a great picture online of the real and the fake versions. hope it helps....
    US0001-1943-Lincoln-Cent-Copper-Genuine-Fake-.jpg
    the bottom part of the 3 in the genuine version picture is pointing at the S. good luck

5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I could see that in the original photo, but this follow up photo makes it pretty clear that it is a tooled 1948-S.

Tooling.jpg

6. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Looks more like like a 2 instead of 4...1923...to me.

7. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

I knew a fellow who found a 1943S penny. He announced it would go on auction starting at $1.3M. He made lots of plans.
    He took to a local coin expert. He determined it was an excellent fake but a fake indeed. Somebody had taken a 1948S and neatly sliced away the left side of the 8.
    I offered him $1 for it

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

That is always the assumption I start with. That's what it usually is, but take the time to do additional research. It's definitely worth it.

My new ICON is the exception. It is the second rarest find I have made and the first I could afford to purchase. It is a solid 1796 NC-2. The rarest one I found was the third known 1793 NC-6 which was written up in the April 2019 issue of Penny-Wise.

I also just purchased another miss that turned out to be a mutilated common variety. These outnumber the picks by about 8-1 and I'm a pretty knowledgeable fellow within my narrow field of interest.

GeorgeM likes this.
  9. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Looks like an altered 1948 to me
    20210117 1948 1923 Lincoln Obverse Maps 1.JPG 20210117 1948 1923 Maps Overlaid 2.JPG 20210117 1948 1923 Date Map Overlay 3.JPG 20210117 1948 1923 Date Map Overlaid OP 4.JPG

BJBII likes this.
  10. billion_cents

billion_cents New Member

it's a 48 dremeled

Draft saved Draft deleted