1943 Bronze Steel Wheat Wheat Penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jon Zern, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Jon Zern

Jon Zern Member

I have a bronze steel wheat penny 1943. serious discussion, please. I have taken the coin to local dealers and they all say none was ever minted..

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

If you are truly serious, please post a photo. No one will take any claims seriously here without an image. And what do you mean by bronze steel? It's either bronze or steel.

4. smarch

smarch Active Member

You think those coin dealers would have recognized the coin if authentic, it's a legendary error if copper 1943. So check with a magnet then closely examine the date, some 1948s are altered to look like '43s, welcome and good luck.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Steel (actually iron) is magnetic while bronze or copper isn't. Is yours attracted to a magnet?

6. Jon Zern

Jon Zern Member

I do not have an image to post at the time, when I get another image I will be very happy to post.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, but "dealer" is in no way synonymous with "expert" or even, surprisingly enough, being that knowledgeable in their very trade. Never expect or assume the guy behind the counter to know what he's talking about... it's a respect that needs to be earned.

With that said though, I cannot help but to wonder if their claim to the OP was simply a way of staying neutral or to avoid being the bearer of bad news.

billy b, gronnh20 and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Jon Zern

Jon Zern Member

I do have pictures in my photo section of this penny. now if I can figure out the correct way to show the images I will do so

9. Jon Zern

Jon Zern Member

I could be new member of "coin talk" but I am not new to coin collecting. I realize the limited knowledge most of these dealers have. But thank you for your comments.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Without a picture, no one can tell you anything. With a picture, it will be easy to identify SOME fakes, but impossible to prove authenticy. That being said, the odds of your finding another "bronze" 1943 cent is less than winning the mega bucks lottery TWICE.

BTW, they never made any bronze steel cents. It is either bronze (copper) or steel.

11. BooksB4Coins

No one said nor implied anything negative about you, sir. Plus, just because you started the thread doesn't mean you're the only person who will read it.

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

With this being the case, I take it we can assume you've already tested with a magnet and found no attraction? The next step, then, would be XRF analysis for the composition, which nobody here is capable of even given the most accurate of images. Once you've determined that the metallic composition is appropriate for the coin, we can then apply knowledge of the appropriate configuration and die pickups - as accurately as are the images provided - to attempt some opinion of authenticity.

But until you're sure of the composition of the planchet - which nobody here can do for you - further speculation is useless. A typical handheld XRF analyzer of 40 kV or so (any large-scale precious metals dealer in your highly-populated area should have one) should easily have the detection depth to "see" through a layer of copper plating to the underlying base metal, if such exists.

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Are the photos on your phone or on your computer?
    Select upload file ( under the comment box).
    A window will come up to select where the picture file is)
    Choose pics of both obverse and reverse then when the pics are uploaded to the site make sure that you select full size. So that we can see the pics better. I hope this helps.

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

15. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Just in case you cannot find someone with the expensive hand-held equipment who will check your coin for free, a specific gravity test may be useful.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  16. Jon Zern

Jon Zern Member

Thanks for the information, the pictures are on my computer

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Then all you have to do to get them here is copy and paste.

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

OK.. You were asked twice if the Cent in question is attracted to a magnet. You seem to avoid answering the question. I am being serious now in asking if you have tried the magnet test. Does it or does it not stick to a magnet?

MKent and Insider like this.
  19. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

Sometimes you just have to tell yourself that if it looks like a troll......stop there. It is 100% a troll.

bdunnse likes this.
  20. BooksB4Coins

Wow... you calling someone a "troll"; big surprise! (roll eyes here)

A quick search of this gentleman's posting history suggests that he's not here daily and that, perhaps, a little patience is in order. If he comes back, great, but if not, no one should be losing any sleep over it. Mud, particularly from someone just entering the thread for no other purpose, is unnecessary.

billy b and Insider like this.
  21. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

You can call me a cynic or being overly negative but come on.
    This is another one of those guys who post on here and other coin forums talking like they have found some great coin or coins and gets their jollies off doing so.

I mean come on.

1) He says he has a "bronze steel cent".
    What the Hell is that?

2) He claims all these "dealers" have examined the coin but gives no names and how many coin dealers do you think would let a possible bronze 1943 walkout the door?
    None.

3) He says all these "dealers" tell him none were struck?
    Huh?
    Is he trying to claim he has some strange bronze-steel pattern Lincoln because the dumbest coin dealer on the planet at least knows about the 1943 Copper Cent. It is the most famous and well known coin in existence.

4) He goes from inferring he has no picture but will get one but then says he does have pictures but can't figure out how to load them.
    It does not take 3 days to figure out how to upload an image to this site.
    If the guy was not a troll and thought even 1% chance he actually has the coin he is talking about he would be asking fervently on here how to post a picture.

Yet it has been 3 days and he has time to come on here and post replies but has never asked how to post a dang picture?

5) He has refused to answer whether the coin is magnetic or give any specifics on things like weight, condition, where get got it, etc.

The guy is a troll. 99.999999999999999% chance.

We get guys on this forum daily and people keep giving these trolls what they want:

attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted