1943 Australian shilling

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by eric6794, Jan 24, 2017.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Picked this up yesterday at antique shop for 50 cents, love finding silver in world bin bowls :D 19431.jpg 19432.jpg 19433.jpg 19434.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes. Nice find.
    That coin can go from $10 to $16 :wideyed:

eric6794 likes this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Here's mine. Interesting the mint mark placements are different. Yours looks a little bigger, too.

1943-S Australia 1S (silver).jpg

eric6794 and paddyman98 like this.
  5. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Certainly always nice to find such a deal. Plus, it's got some interesting history. It was minted by the USA at the San Francisco Mint as denoted by the 'S' mintmark.

eric6794 and Kentucky like this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That was a consequence of their economy coming out of the Great Depression for the ramp-up in production to supply the Pacific War effort. Their Melbourne Mint couldn't handle the demand and we had to bring their money with us. Denver also minted their coinage. Philadelphia was too far from the Navy yards on the West coast, so they got a pass. ;)

eric6794 likes this.
  7. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

Nice find! Seeing as yours tilts to the right, is it an error mint mark. The S over D as they call them had that same tilt to them. I don't see the blob though but a little hard to tell from the pic's.

eric6794 likes this.
  8. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I thought the S looked like it had something under it. Great find and a beautiful coin (although lets be honest, I'm pretty biased)

eric6794 likes this.
  9. What a great find, and I believe the silver content was higher than the US coins at that time (later reduced to .500 in 1946).
    When I visited Sydney in 1968 (on R and R) Australia was changing over to the new decimal coins, but the older silver issues, like yours, could still be found, in slot machines that were in many restaurants! I would feed the new coins in and save any silver issues that were paid out. Went back to RVN with a pocket full of silver (along with a couple of 1937 crowns, found at a coin shop). I guess I was a 'typical' US soldier, since the old saying is, "Europeans fight for glory, Americans fight for souvenirs".
    As you have proven, Silver is where you find it.
    Congratulations on a great find!

eric6794 likes this.
  10. eric6794

yeah I dont think it is but your right it does tilt i took a close up of the MM 19435.jpg

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

@eric6794, it looks to me to be just another working die. But then, that S is the right orientation for the OMM, and there's a faint trace to the right of the S that may be the worn-down remnants of the underlying D. Thus, hold your horses on this one. Horses, get it? Lol. :)

eric6794 likes this.
  12. eric6794

interesting, I think I see what you are referring to but w/o certification I dont think it would add any value so i'll just hang onto it for a while :D

Draft saved Draft deleted