1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Linkeland, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Linkeland

Linkeland New Member

I have been considering putting this coin up for auction but do not have a good clue on grading its quality. It is in very good condition but the I in Liberty has a smash in it and I am not good at grading coins. Can anybody give a quick glance and give me their best guess on the grading quality plus inform me if the I in Liberty changes the value + or -?
    One more thing, is there a better auction spot than Ebay to sell coins?

1942_Half_I_Flaw.jpg 1942_Half_Mark.jpg 1942_Half_Face.jpg 1942_Half_Back.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Hi Link, welcome to CT. Well I will have to say that the condition really doesn't warrant much over melt value. Much higher grade walkers of thisyear can be had inexpensively. So, if you sell it on eBay, you will probably get around melt value. After the fees and all that, you will probably lose money.

4. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

He's absolutely right, if you were to sell this on eBay you will get about $14-16 on average. And its a pretty common date. Welcome to Cointalk!

5. Linkeland

Linkeland New Member

Thank you both very much. I am really glad I found this site. I basically like collecting because I like the historical significance of the coins I acquire naturally, I have never thought of buying or selling. Thank you for your lending me your knowledge.

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Anytime Link. I wanted to add. This is a nice coin, walking liberty is one of my favorite U.S. designs. It may be a little frustrating that it is only worth melt, however silver is high and the trend seems to be that it will rise for a little while at least. So at least it's silver! :)

7. Linkeland

Linkeland New Member

This is one of my favorite coins and I am sort of relieved that I wouldn't get much for it. I know that might sound crazy but I've only had it for a couple of years. It came into my hands as change from a gas station. I tend to have an overactive imagination, so the possible "stories" this coin could tell, intrigues me. It might have been sitting on a shelf for ages or it might have been some soldiers "lucky" coin that saved his life during WWII. Either way, I like collecting the stories more than the values. Every coin has a story, good or bad, about their journey from the mint to your hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted