1942 S DDO dime mint mark removed

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by #rocco, Oct 20, 2017.

1. #rocco

#rocco Member

A friend claims to have a 1942 s ddo dime where the mintmark was removed but its shaddow is visable. Has anyone heard of a dime like this? I did some research and didn't find anything online so I figured I'd ask the experts for him. And Go.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I imagine If the mint mark was removed somehow and a slight image remains, then the scratches or whatever method would of been worn down over years and years of wear on the area

You do know where the mint mark is located.. Do you?

#rocco likes this.
  4. #rocco

#rocco Member

Its right where it should be on the left below the olive branch. The coin has very little wear to it at all.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. #rocco

#rocco Member

He said there is only couple very faint scratches in the area of the missing mint mark.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If the mint mark was removed the coin is damaged.

7. #rocco

#rocco Member

He put the dime in his 1942 set thinking it was a ddo from philly but once he took a better look at it he noticed the s had been removed. I have seen it with my own 2 eyes and i could see what looked like an inverted s image/shadow. I told him that it could be worth $5 or it could be worth much more and by that night and day to $5. I also told him thats a big year for the crooks.

8. #rocco

#rocco Member

It would have been the work of the worlds best forger to do this. Its very very hard to see this with a loop.

9. #rocco

#rocco Member

How would luster sill be visable where the curves are in the S Without there being gouges all around the area. Its very smooth with only a very minor scratches.

10. #rocco

#rocco Member

11. #rocco

#rocco Member

He said its not comming out of the case. I have seen the S with my own eyes. Its there. What kind of coin is this potentially? The guy is collector and really don't need $ so i fugure its worth a ton because it seems like fairy tails happen to rich people.

12. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Rather than mintmark removed in this condition it is likely an error called "Struck Through Grease" If it were totally gone it could be a clogged die error. Since you can see it faintly I'm going with the struck through error. Fred Weinberg on this forum is the error expert and the tie breaker when several folks have differing opinions.

13. #rocco

#rocco Member

Would you still see the mirror image of the S? Its hard to see with a loop but its there almost like a scar?

14. #rocco

#rocco Member

Best he can do on the picture

Attached Files:

15. #rocco

#rocco Member

There is a shadow 1 on the obverse too. 42/1. What kind of coin is this potentially??

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It would be quite a coincidence to be struck through grease, exactly where the mint mark is and not affect any of the other lettering/ elements.

#rocco likes this.
  17. #rocco

#rocco Member

Whats your opion on it Michael?

18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There are so many variables to your question. The area in question looks normal to me, possible die polishing lines and contact. (mm)
    It isn't a 42 over 1. It would be very noticeable in the condition of the coin pictured.

19. #rocco

#rocco Member

There is a shadow of a 1 sir. I just looked at it. Its lighter than the area around it. Is more like the Denver version than the Philly verson. which if is the case that it makes sense do to how the left over 41's were sent to Denver and apparently San Franciso ??

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am not buying it, Better photos will have too be provided to prove your point. All other answers are hypothetic. My opinion at best is bag marks in the MM area. There isn't any research or proof to validate what you are saying.

21. #rocco

#rocco Member

Its there and its a very light 1 just at the front edge of the 2. The 1 looks just like the 1 on this post. Your right and there is no evidence of it that I can find either. Trust me I have searched high and low. The glass case is too thick to get a much better picture but I'll try.

Draft saved Draft deleted