1942-P DDO

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by rmpsrpms, Nov 8, 2019.

1. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Thought I'd buck the trend here and post a new doubled die I discovered recently. This one shows pretty nicely on the Y of LIBERTY, and indeed it looks like it might actually be a tripled die with a second vertical doubling showing on the Y. I still need to send this one in for attribution and listing. Unfortunately this is the only one I found in the BU roll, so I'm a bit protective of it.

I shot this coin in high resolution. You can see the high res image at:

https://easyzoom.com/image/157192/album/0/4?mode=manage

Below are the downsized high res image, and a crop from the area of the DDO.

42P DDO_0_1.JPG 42P DDO_0_2.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What? Where? o_O

Chuck_A and Evan Saltis like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

There 10 known ddo's 42 P this isn't one of them.

Cheech9712, Chuck_A and Evan Saltis like this.
  5. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Take a look at the crop photo. The doubling shows mostly on the Y to the SW, and a little on the T to the S

Correct, which is why this is a new DDO.

6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

GH#75, Andrew Snovell and Chuck_A like this.
  7. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Thanks, I'm well aware of the process, but I believe this DDO is strong enough (hopefully) to submit to Wiles at CONECA. It is similar to a few other listed DDOs but perhaps a bit stronger.

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

However you have it authenticated, please post the results. Thank you.

GH#75, Andrew Snovell and Chuck_A like this.
  9. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

It does take a while to send in and get an attribution or new listing, but I will try to remember I created this thread...

Stevearino likes this.
  10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Good Luck

Chuck_A likes this.
  11. Paddy54

Your specimen is not a ddo. What your seeing they are die chips.

12. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

You are incorrect.

However, if indeed those were die chips, they would be extremely interesting ones indeed! Most die chips occur in areas of high die stress, or along areas where a die crack has occurred. The usual ones happen on areas where the die has a "bump" such as the pieces of die that create the corresponding "holes" in letters or numbers, thus creating a "filled letter" or "filled number". The B of LIBERTY is common for this, as is the middle of the 9 in the date. For some reason the bump in the die between the B and E of LIBERTY is also a point of high stress, and often breaks off, creating a BIE. Occasionally there are die chips between the other letters of LIBERTY, creating an IIB, a EIR, or even RIT.

What I think you are saying when you describe this DDO as instead having die chips is that you believe this to be a TIY. The problem is that die chips never exactly follow the edge of the design. The fact that the area of the field to SW of the Y exactly matches both the vertical and the left upper arm of the Y shows that it could not be a die chip.

One remote possibility, which would also be extremely interesting, is that this was created by re-engraving of the working die or even the master die. This was a common thing to do to enhance features. In fact this coin exhibits evidence of re-engraving around the profile, especially on the forehead and forelock. You can see those features in the high resolution image linked to above. That re-engraving is incuse on the coin, so was likely done on the working hub. In the case of this coin, if indeed the feature was added and since it is raised on the coin, it would have been done on the working die. That would also explain why it does not show up on more working dies. However I can't think of a reason why a mint employee would need to emphasize the southwest corner of the Y of LIBERTY. I guess it could have been done intentionally, to create a special variety coin, but this feature is microscopic in nature, and 1942 was prior to the craze that happened after the 1955 doubled die, so the public was not yet attuned to looking for these sorts of things.

In this case the hub was slightly offset during a first partial hubbing of the die. This commonly creates a "doubled eye" doubled die when the hub is offset to the east, but in this case the hub was offset to the southwest. The die metal is convex prior to hubbing, so the central portions of the hub hit the die first, thus impressing the central elements first. This is why the Y is doubled, with the T only showing a small amount of doubling, and the R little or none.

Cliff Reuter and furham like this.
  13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's nothing. There's no doubling. Good luck with your quest.

14. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Wow, I am not impressed with the misinformation being proffered on this forum. If you don't know what you're talking about, perhaps you should not post.

I have looked into the posts made by newbies posting on this forum, and have seen similar negative responses. In many cases these responses are justified, since the newbie is often showing a coin which is for sure not what they claim (69-S DDO, etc). But it seems that the folks who are responding negatively to this thread may be jaded by the many newbie posts they have bashed. I even see a sig line of "Let me burst your bubble" on one of the respondents.

On the other hand, the negative responses may simply indicate a lack of knowledge about the specific type of doubling seen on this coin, and that is a fair reason for skepticism.

GH#75, Cliff Reuter and Devyn5150 like this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Sorry Rpmsrpms, It doesn't appear to be a DDO to me either. Be glad to learn if so. There seems to be something odd about the angle of lettering, the TY mainly but whether it is caused by the die orientation ( tilt) when being processed for use, damage, or die chips, or is actually a DDO. Maybe Fred will pop in. Jim

Stevearino, Mike185 and Michael K like this.
  16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Sound advice. Maybe you should listen to yourself.
    Even if there is the most minimal doubling possible (there isn't) and you get it attributed as a new variety, it's almost meaningless.
    You can take a microscope and examine coins 24/7 and you will find new DD's that have never been attributed. Because they are so minor and unimpressive they have no value. You want to get your name in a book, OK, bully for you.
    The funniest thing is when you ask for someone's opinion, and when it doesn't agree with yours, you argue and make rude comments.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  17. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

I'm really flabbergasted by these responses. It's actually ironic since I posted this as a counterpoint to the normal DDO posts seen here. I was sharing an actual new discovery, with high resolution photos! I'm actually wondering if the folks on here are serious, or perhaps just pulling my chain?

Maybe I was more right than I thought when I said it's simply a matter of folks never having seen an example of this type of doubled die before. After all, the doubled-eye type also was controversial when first discovered, especially since it was not clear how it was created. For your education, you can read the last paragraph of my 5th post above, reproduced here:

"In this case the hub was slightly offset during a first partial hubbing of the die. This commonly creates a "doubled eye" doubled die when the hub is offset to the east, but in this case the hub was offset to the southwest. The die metal is convex prior to hubbing, so the central portions of the hub hit the die first, thus impressing the central elements first. This is why the Y is doubled, with the T only showing a small amount of doubling, and the R little or none."

Here are a couple of examples of similar double dies listed by CONECA. These are both more minor than my new discovery example, but they will at least give the disbelievers a bit of education.

1943P DDO-002 (Image from varietyvista.com)
    1943PDDO02.jpg

1944P DDO-013 (Image from varietyvista.com)
    1944PDDO013.jpg

Here is a better picture of 44P DDO-013 by Bob Piazza at coppercoins.com which is perhaps an earlier die state and shows the doubling of the upper right angle of the Y.

1944p DDO13.jpg

john65999 likes this.
  18. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

I almost missed sharing 43P DDO-022, which is similar but has more vertical spread, and shows also more on the R than my example:

1943P DDO-022 (Image from varietyvista.com)
    1943PDDO022b RTY of LIBERTY 1.jpg

19. Paddy54

Look I knew Ed Woods personaly! If your flabbergasted now....I can't imagine if Ed was here to tell you straight up what he thinks......in fact he was one who always held back......yeah he did.... and just as the GTG reveal was in progress he pop right in and nail that puppy spot on! Yeah Eddie was a real piece of work.....I'm sure he's wintering in Aruba this year.
    Well hopefully Ed pops in and stumbles upon your thread......I miss the big lug......remember when the plans were delivered.....he was so excited about the new grading company.... but the designer left out the rest rooms!
    All those employees using a spot a pot.....lol !!!
    Yeah Ed would tell ya die chips ....:hilarious:

20. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

You seem to have gone all in with this penny. Even changed your avatar to the coin in question?

21. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I’m thinking it’s a DDO. The tails on the T and Y do appear as chips but the SW doubling appears adjacent to the left of the V.

Draft saved Draft deleted