1942 Mercury Dime with mint error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by MMiller750, May 2, 2016.

1. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

Good afternoon everyone,

I was searching through a roll of Mercury dimes I had just bought for dates to fill in my book when I came across this dime. I don't know much about the value of mint errors but this dime appears to have a blank reverse. I have searched Ebay listings and completed listings and can't come across anything like it. Any idea on the value of it? Is it worth keeping?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It's not a mint error.
    The reverse has been ground, filed or sanded off.
    It's only worth its weight in silver.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

Well that is depressing, I guess I jumped the gun. The closer I look the more I can see a little bit of the wording.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

As Rick says the reverse has been removed with a grinder and/or sandpaper. The mint can not mint a coin with a rim on on side and flat on the other, there at least would be an upturned lip

tommyc03 likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is a constant war of scammers making fakes to sell on ebay or craigslist to new and some old coin collectors. It is always a disappointment, but it encourages gaining of knowledge.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Don't be depressed, it's a good learning tool. Eventually you will find something good, share with us, and we will be as pleased as you are when that time comes.

rickmp likes this.
  8. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

Considering I only paid spot price for it things could be worse I guess

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Absolutely. Optimism is a great virtue for a numismatist. You'll be OK. :)

This is a perfect illustration of the truth that understanding how coins are struck is the best way to identify errors. There is no possible way for a mint to create a coin (during normal operations) with that sort of clean flat area on the reverse. Just can't happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted