1942 Jeff Nickel - no mint mark

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by GTeachman, Feb 27, 2018.

1. GTeachman

GTeachman New Member

I was going through my latest box of nickels and came across a strange one, at least to me. I found a 1942 with no mint mark. I know the war years nickels started with 1942 and they were all supposed to have mint marks over the dome on the reverse. Do any of you mint experts know when the silver war nickels started being minted in 1942? Is there someplace that might have a mintage figure for a 1942 plain, i.e. no mint mark. I have a couple dozen war year nickels and I can see the difference in the appearance of the silver nickels. This one looks like any other Jeff nickel in appearance.

Thanks for your help.

GTeachman

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

There are two types of nickels produced in 1942, type 1 and silver alloy type 2. If I remember correctly, the type 2 was produced starting in October.

4. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Yeah your coin isn't a silver war nickel.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

There are 1942 (P) and 1942-D made in copper-nickel.

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 42-D (non silver) is more desirable than the 42-P (non Ag). This one is about a dime. In good condition.
    There are no silver 42-D's. And there are no nickel 42 S's. The Phillys came in both types.
    The silver are 1942 large P and 1942 large S.
    There is a very valuable and rare variety on the 42-D "horizontal D". Never seen one in hand.

7. GTeachman

GTeachman New Member

Guys, thanks for all the quick and informative replies. I learned a lot about the 1942 nickel, all just by asking the right folks!

Thanks,
    GTeachman

8. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted