1942/41 Mercury Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by icetea, Oct 25, 2016.

1. icetea

icetea Member

Hello all....This forum is great, because I can ask a question that most of you know but I don't. On Heritage Auction website they have the below Mercury Dime listed as 1942/1-D. I though that the 1 crossed in front of the 2. Can someone please tell me why this would be a 1942/1-D coin. Is it the reverse?

Attached Files:

Luiz Frijia likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

The 42/41 is an overdate so this has nothing to do with the reverse. The 42/41 D is not as strong as her sister the 42/41. The one would be located basically for a lack of a better word "inside" or "underneath" the two. I don't know if this helps or not.

Cascade, icetea and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. icetea

icetea Member

Thank you so much. That does help. When I looked on other web sites the 1 was very strong in front of the 2. I was looking at that coin and thinking what am I missing! So cool to ask question here. A lot of times if you ask something like this of a coin dealer they talk to you like you don't have any sense. So nice! Thanks again.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Right - Nothing about the reverse - a 42/1 D is a subtle over date where as the 42/1 P is the obvious one!!

Luiz Frijia and icetea like this.
  6. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Here is a high grade pic of a 42/1 D merc. Notice the slight doubling of the 4 at the base, also the bottom of the one peeking out of the base of the two, and the tip of the one coming off the front of the curl. The 42/1D had the one placed much further under the two than the philly mint version. 1942-41D011_zpsf0eac992.jpg

icetea, Luiz Frijia and jaceravone like this.
  7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

8. armysgti

armysgti Active Member

Great Photo there showing the differences ! Thanks so much !

Draft saved Draft deleted