1942/1 Mercury Dime Authentication help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, May 11, 2024.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Looking at this 42/1 dime as part of an estate lot and was curious what the forum thought about the placement of the 2. It seems higher than authenticated comps. The coin is raw and from a collection compiled about 30 years ago. Thoughts on grade would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks in advance!
    IMG_7965.jpeg IMG_7966.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here's a high grade one that I downloaded from "Coin Facts."

1942 O 1 Gem Coin Facts.jpg

1942 O 1 close up.jpg

Here's your piece. It does look to be "off" like you said.

1942 o 1 inter Close.jpg

4. Steven Shaw

Steven Shaw Well-Known Member

Obvious counterfeit

Coins4Eli likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

AU-something. Unless that's a second 2/1, it's counterfeit.

6. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Now I really like it! However that would lower the price a little. Would that qualify as a contemporary counterfeit?

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

To me it doesn’t look real. I think it’s a good fake on a higher grade coin.

Coins4Eli likes this.
  8. johnmilton

If it’s a counterfeit, which appears to be the case, it is worth scrap (less than melt). Please don’t give legitimacy to counterfeits that are made to cheat collectors. They pose a major threat to the hobby.

dwhiz and Heavymetal like this.
  9. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

I agree with everyone above, it is sadly a counterfeit. :sorry:

I guess I could also take this as a chance to post a picture of my 1942/1. :joyful:
    It's sadly been cleaned, but I cant really complain, I paid a little over spot for it. :smuggrin:

Remove background project - 2024-05-11T171628.054.png Remove background project - 2024-05-11T171704.865.png

Randy Abercrombie, capthank and Neal like this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Fake a decent one... but it's counterfeit

11. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

What puzzles me is how someone with obvious skills in fakery would make one so obviously fake.

12. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the input. Luckily this investigation took place before purchase. Cointalk is such a valuable resource. There’s a lot of other good stuff in the collection that I look forward to posting if the seller and I come to an agreement.

Coins4Eli and capthank like this.
  13. johnmilton

If the counterfeiter made his fakes like the Chinese are doing it and like a legitimate mint, he or she has a hub with the Mercury Dime design in place with everything, except the date and possible mint mark. Therefore when the counterfeiter made this “1942 over 1” dime he added the date to the working die. The trouble is, he didn’t get it quite right. Still it’s close enough that it would fool a lot of people, especially if you don’t have the genuine thing available for a comparison.

if my assumption above is correct, this counterfeiter could have made other Mercury Dimes, like a 1916-D, the 1921s or any other date.

I have photos of a counterfeit 1796 half dollar that someone made over 60 years ago. It’s so good that it fooled the major auction houses back in the early 1960s. The fake was picked up many years later when an owner submitted it to PCGS. I’ll post pictures of it when I’m on my desktop.

Neal and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yeah….. That’s too bad. Certainly isn’t the real deal.

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Mark,

Having seen this thread, coupled with your thread about the 1911-D Quarter Eagle & 1908-S Half Eagle, please be very cautious. I suspect these fakes were either innocently bought without due diligence, or that they were knowingly acquired for very little by an unscrupulous seller, plausibly representing them as the valuables of a bygone collector.

16. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Is it possible the counterfeiter didn't make a working die but added a 2 to the date of a genuine 1941? There is a little distortion on the reverse, roughly where the date is on the other side. Added features are certainly not without precedent. If so, technically it would not be a counterfeit but an altered date. I'm not expert enough to tell if the remainder of the coin has any signs of being counterfeit.

17. johnmilton

Here is the 1796 counterfeit half dollar I promised to post. This piece made through a major auction in the early 1960s, if memory serves. PCGS caught it as a counterfeit.

1796 Half Dollar Bad All.jpg

Here is the genuine coin that was used to make the counterfeit. Note that this piece is sharper and that there are marks in exactly the same places. Often the counterfeit will lose detail on the highest points which is what you see here.

1796 Half Dollar real All.jpg

Here are individual photos of each side of the two pieces.

Counterfeit

1796 half dollar better O.jpg 1796 half dollar better R.jpg

Genuine. It's really great when you can find the genuine item that was used to make the counterfeit.

1796 half dollar real O.jpg 1796 half dollar real R.jpg

Neal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted