1941 Walker with Ford counterstamp

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Evan8, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

So I'm not one for counterstamp coins but as a mechanic I had to have this one.

Let's just take a moment and appreciate the packaging of this coin
    0819161824.jpg
    Usually they are just thrown in an envelope but this was very neatly packed in a square capsule and stuck in a thick foam posterboard. A bit of first for me.

Apparently this coin was stamped from a broken Ford stamp in 1963. Note the upper flourish of the F is missing. I found one site with info from Brunk talking about this counterstamp here:

http://tokencatalog.com/token_recor...d=16299&attribution_id=28572&td_create_uid=39

I know some of you like counterstamps and I thought this was fairly unusual. So here you are

2016-08-19-18-39-24.jpg

If you have one of these I'd love to see it

dwhiz, *coins, NSP and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not big on counterstamps, but this one has a neat provenance. Thanks for posting it.

Chris

-jeffB likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

5. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Are they considered counterstamps? I would think this is more like a chop mark, especially since the mark doesn't appear to even have been done on behalf of Ford...

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

You see a lot of these on eBay, Evan. For some reason I've never picked up one for my collection, though I've had ample opportunity to do so. Maybe because I'm not a car nut.:D

Bruce

Evan8 likes this.
  7. BRandM

Yes, they are counterstamps, North Korea. While chopmarks are technically counterstamps...a message, name, or something else applied with a medal die...chopmarks are treated differently by collectors. I have a large collection of counterstamps, but have no interest in chopmarks.

Bruce

8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Somewhere I have a Ford counterstamped Buffalo nickel that looks like someone in a factory did it back in the day. I found it in a bank wrapped roll.

9. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I did get it off eBay. It was cheap so no big deal. I have a mechanic shop and love car stuff too so I like it

BRandM likes this.
  10. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I was always under the impression that a counterstamp is something done by a government agency to the effect of stamping the coin with a counter usage. I thought, as a result, any non-government markings would be called chopmarks.

Now I'm *really* confused. So, if I stamp a coin with some sort of branding, as opposed to just scratching it or otherwise vandalizing the surface, that's considered a counterstamp?

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Yup

Countermarked or Counterstamped just means the coin was marked. It COULD be by a government entity to confirm value, to repurpose the coin, etc. It COULD be by a 3rd party (Brasher) to certify weight and fineness. It COULD be advertising. Or it could just be an idiot with a punch and a hammer and a coin...

12. BRandM

A government stamp, for reasons stated above by Burton Strauss lll, are called countermarks by many, but the words are really interchangeable. A counterstamp or countermark are the same thing. I call them all counterstamps, while Greg Brunk, the guru of such things, calls them countermarks.

Bruce

13. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Interesting...........

14. idreamofgreenie

idreamofgreenie Active Member

I have a 1935 Walker counterstamp. Found in a junk silver bag bought from a person.
    Surprised there is still not certainty around the Ford stamping campaign

15. idreamofgreenie

16. idreamofgreenie

17. idreamofgreenie

Here's my Ford counterstamp
    [​IMG]

And a P inside of a circle with 192
    [​IMG]

BRandM likes this.
  18. BRandM

That "P / 192" stamp is likely an inspector's stamp. Since the coin is dated 1942, it may be from a worker in a factory producing goods for the armed forces during WW ll. It's not unusual to see these types of stamps on coins.Interesting but hsrd to identify.

Bruce

Paddy54 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted