1941 S nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jodemi, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Jodemi

Jodemi Member

heres a pic of this 1941 S nickel. Can’t make out if there’s a D under the S mint mark. Maybe it’s dirt.... have a look. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Jodemi, I applaud your continued interest in coin hunting, but I am starting to notice a trend in your posts. Why would you think this is an S/D mintmark? Are you aware of, or have seen one? Or is this just wishful thinking?

The US San Francisco Mint produced over 43.4 million 1941 nickels, & from what I find (I'm not a nickel expert) no S over D nickels have been found. 1954 has an S/D, but so far that's it. The odds of you finding a 1941 discovery coin are so remote...

It would be very beneficial for you to acquire (if you haven't already) a US Coin Digest (aka, "Red Book"). They produce one each year, but you don't need a new one - any from the last 5 yrs or so should suffice. There is a wealth of information: it will show you mintages, grading, known varieties, (don't rely on the prices, but it will show general differences between grades), etc.

Also, you should have a magnifying glass, not higher than 10x.

The chances of you actually finding an error, variety, rare specimen in circulation is extremely remote (but not impossible). You being in Canada, I would think you have a more difficult time finding US specimens.

Keep up the search - there are still great finds out there, but certainly not as frequent as some think. :(

Good luck! :happy::happy::happy:

4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

5. Jodemi

Jodemi Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I watch videos on all types of coins. I do have a 2010 book on coins. You could be right...it may be wishful thinking or too long looking threw the microscope..lol. Thanks.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Read don't watch... 99.44% of the YouTube coin videos are offal...

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just a normal worn nickel for the date and not an over anything.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 49 has a D over S. The 54 has an S over D. And the 55 has a D over S.
    This is a heavily circulated 1941-S.
    The problem with these old Jeffersons, unless they are semi key dates or silver
    there's just no market for them in this condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted