1941 Quarter with JF initials missing

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MArkus B, Sep 27, 2020.

1. MArkus B

MArkus B Member

Anybody know if a quarter without the initials at the base of the neck would be considered rare or valuable. Like an error. ??
    Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

THISTHREADISUSELESSWITHOUTPICHERS.jpg

4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Even without pictures, I’m going with polished die. No premium value

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You want to know about the missing initials? I want to know about the missing coin! Photos please.

Mike Davis likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Wait, wait, I think photos are coming
    Annotation 2020-08-02 234918.jpg

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well, since so much time has elapsed since he saw our requests, I'm going to knock the value down by half...........12-1/2c!

9. MArkus B

MArkus B Member

Sorry. Was working. Here are the pics. thx guys. Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

10. expat

Parts still exist though very faint, look to be polished out

11. MArkus B

MArkus B Member

Polished out? What polished it out? What do you mean?This coin came out of a OBWRoll

12. expat

Die Polishing is the process of cleaning the dies used to strike a coin. Over the course of the life of a working die, dirt and grime may accumulate on the die itself. In addition, the die may acquire other imperfections that a mint worker might try to polish away in an attempt to strike "cleaner" coins.

Danomite likes this.
  13. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

The die was polished out prior to minting your coin.

14. Collecting Nut

The mint produces so many coins, the Die is polished to prolong its Die life so it can produce more coins. Polishing a Die extends the life of the Die but it also reduces the features on the Die.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  15. MArkus B

MArkus B Member

So what are you trying to say? That because of the workers at the mint polishing the dies, the JF is not present on my coin.

16. Collecting Nut

There appears to be a faint and partial part of the initials present. Yes, it was polished out at the Mint. Nice but your not going to retire.

17. expat

It happens to many dies. Look at the "Floating roof" and missing designers initials on LMC's, parts of the Liberty headband on Morgan dollars etc. etc. Dies are expensive, they will try to prolong it's productive life as long as possible

18. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Nice coin though. Always show full both sides and post with Full Image option

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  19. MArkus B

MArkus B Member

Thanks for all your responses

20. MArkus B

MArkus B Member

1A4796C5-C563-497C-87D4-2E7374456562.jpeg B04FAF41-D1E6-4E7E-A0F9-AA5B1F25B219.jpeg B04FAF41-D1E6-4E7E-A0F9-AA5B1F25B219.jpeg 1FD384FF-6ED9-48F8-9B37-75F53A10D150.jpeg 1A4796C5-C563-497C-87D4-2E7374456562.jpeg Also had another coin here. Old one. Do any of you think it might it worth sending of the grading or not. Thx 1FD384FF-6ED9-48F8-9B37-75F53A10D150.jpeg

21. expat

Replica Medal
    Description
    1778-1779 Rhode Island Ship Medal

Obverse: Shows the flagship of British Admiral Lord Richard Howe. Inscription around border: DE ADMIRAALS FLAG van ADMIRAAL HOWE 1779.

Reverse: The reverse depicts the retreat of American forces from Rhode Island in 1778. Inscription around border: D’vlugtende AMERICAANEN van ROHDE YLAND Aug,t 1778

Diameter: 32 mm

Material: Electro Copper plated lead free fine pewter.

Made in the USA
    Packaged in a coin collecting flip with printed description on insert.

Draft saved Draft deleted