1941 Proof Set .... Need Opinions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Randy Abercrombie, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Heck, send it to me, I've adopted much uglier coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

You can see detail on this WLH that is not evident on the subject coins.

Stevearino and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Some of that is due to a much smaller mintage and die polishing. The mintage for the 1936 Proof half was 3,901. For the 1941 half it was 15,412. They pushed more coins out of the 1941 dies than they did the 1936 dies. That results in a loss of detail after a while if the dies are not replaced.

Collectors complained about the lack of luster on the early 1936 Proof coins, so the mint polished the dies with a resulting loss of detail. On the later issues, they polished more after they had been already struck a fair number of coins. There are 1941 Proof haves without the designer's initials as a result. I've seen 1942 Proof haves that looked like Ms. Liberty has has had her hand amputated and cents that had Lincoln's bowtie hanging in mid air.

5. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Thanks for the thorough feedback. All of the subject coins seem to have white spots that look like voids in a coating process. Is there an explanation for this?

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I would sell them as a set ungraded.
    Proof set price guide says $1000.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I think @johnmilton nailed it when he noted that they had been dipped somewhere over the years. Looking closely at them they appear to be droplets that were not thoroughly rinsed when the dipping took place. That’s my gut feel anyway.

genXmetalfan and Inspector43 like this.
  8. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Probably go for $800 range as a set.

9. Randy Abercrombie

I tried to take a couple of photos through a lighted magnifier. My gut tells me the white spots are remnants of some attempt at dipping that weren’t properly rinsed. I may very well be wrong but I certainly get the feel of dried droplets.
    7CD72A48-3D01-4EB3-B801-C5F12711492A.jpeg 59B8DB0F-E47A-4BBE-9467-E75CDFD47721.jpeg

GenX Enthusiast and Inspector43 like this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I couldn't really tell if the plastic case they are housed in was sealed, or the type that you open to access the coins. If it is a sealed set, I would think that dipping would be out of the question and maybe the spots were caused by poorly washed and dried planchettes.

11. Randy Abercrombie

Not sealed. It is a Capital style holder. Four screws and they are free.

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

These coins were originally shipped from the mint in something like this. They were in celluoid sleeves.

1952 PR 5 sets.jpg

Legomaster1 and genXmetalfan like this.
  13. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

IMO they're not worth grading. Sell it as a complete set.

14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

It's a Whitman mint set holder...just pry the two halves apart and dump them out. Oh...you're right just the 4 screws...even easier!

15. genXmetalfan

genXmetalfan New Member

:joyful: good attitude-

Hommer and Inspector43 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted