1941 Liberty Head Error -?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Hagenhomestead, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Hagenhomestead

Hagenhomestead Hospitalized

3rd times a charm for the rookie. Still perusing through these albums with my high tech downloaded phone app microscope, ha. I'm showing a 41 and 43 S, Liberty Head Dime. I read about the 41/42 error. Curious though, why is the date on the 1941 (as well as the lettering from what I can see) so much thicker on the 41 than the 43 (with a half ass 3)? Is this considered some sort of error or just more silver when struck or what? Crush my dreams for the 3rd time before I go to sleep, I'm beat and will be back at it tomorrow.. Many more to go through. Thanks again for all of your honest opinions and expertise. I really appreciate it. 1545206471943.jpg 1545204631452.jpg 1545206471943.jpg 1545204631452.jpg 1545204713995.jpg 1545204884747.jpg 1545206471943.jpg 1545206408843.jpg 1545204924637.jpg 1545206484476.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

There is a lot to determine when you are looking thru circulated coinage. The 41' looks as if the date has been flattened. While the 43'
    looks to have been polished.
    As the dies get used they are sometimes polished or abraded. If done in excess then devices can disappear.

4. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, what you have is nothing like the 1942/1 overdate.

5. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@Hagenhomestead, sounds like you're working on a fun task.

You might get more responses with a correct title - these are Mercury dimes (not Liberty Head). Some will not open the thread if it doesn't hit home (no pun intended).

These look to be nice, circulated coins, but nothing special. While I do have Merc's, it's not a core focus for me.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

As Pickin and Grinin said, circulation wear can flatten the devices and make them look different, and I believe that is what has happened to your 1941 dime.

7. Hagenhomestead

Sounds good guys, appreciate the input and advice. There's my "learn something new everyday" .... For the day. Thanks everyone!

8. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Actually Liberty Head is correct. Winged Liberty to be more precise.

Mercury Dime is a misnomer. Most non-numismatic people, when this dime was first issued, assumed this bust was of Mercury, the messenger to the Greek Gods.
    However, the design is actually meant to represent "Freedom of Thought", with the idea that Lady Liberty, given wings, would be free to take liberty everywhere.

However, like most people, right or wrong, I also refer to this coin as the Mercury Dime.

9. Hagenhomestead

Thanks Hookman, exactly "Freedom of Thought" as I was aware of that. I thought Liberty Head was the formal name for the coin so I posted as such. (sarcasm my friends) Thanks Plano Steve and Hookman for shedding advice to the red shirt..... Who needs the red book :/

Hookman likes this.
  10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Actually it's not, it is the current vernacular for this coin. What do you think the Red Book calls it.

The vast majority of CT members (both long time collectors & newbies just starting out) refer to it as Mercury; & my main point to @Hagenhomestead was if he used the common vernacular he would attract more interest & response (I bypassed it as I was going down the list of threads the first time & only opened it because I had some spare time at the end - otherwise I would not have opened it.)

Anyway, you won't be hearing from me again as I've exercised my "Ignore" privilege. :smuggrin:

11. Hagenhomestead

Hey @PlanoSteve
    Trust me, I'm no one to question anyone's expertise or opinion on here and I appreciate your feedback. I just hit Uncle Google and believed that what it was. I appreciate it though, as I agree. Just like tagging an item in a search engine on whatever site you're using, if the correct information, tag, etc is not there, that item won't pop up. I get it. I appreciate both of your responses on what I should have done. I got the answer I needed though so it's a dead thread in my opinion now. And I wasn't ignoring you pal, I was elbows deep, digging through broken dreams and shot down truths of this collection I acquired. Haha.. Thanks crew

12. Hagenhomestead

Definitely @Packrat I looked that one up and it's as day. Just wasnt sure if what I saw, which I'm hearing that it was flattened, was a DD or error. Damn railroad track coins. I'll quit posting those until I get solid equipment, rather than trying to use my microscope app and shaky military hands to take a clear picture.

13. Hookman

Where do you think I got that information?

14. Hookman

Meh

15. Hookman

So, Steve, I guess you missed this part of my answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted