1941 Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by abuckmaster147, Mar 26, 2017.

1. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Would a 1941 s walking liberty between good and fine condition hold any more value than scrap?
    TY Jon

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

4. RickO

RickO Active Member

I found a '41 (no mm) in a roll of halves this week.... was a great surprise ...

5. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Here are my thoughts on a 1941-S walker:

AG-3 Scrap
    G-4 $8
    VG-8 $9
    V-12 $10

6. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

Good luck getting more than scrap if less than VG to F grade. Every Walker $50.00 face bought can have 1 if not 2, 1941 S at least VG to F from my local dealer.

7. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

When it comes to coin valuations, I do two things:

1. I check the "sold" prices for the coin on eBay to get a range for the value of the coin;

2. I go to a coin pricing web site as a guide only because these sites tend to be a bit on the high side, in my opinion.

On the second front, I like Numismedia because it currently offers coin values for free (there is paid membership that provides additional services but I have not joined). By example, when I looked at the 1941 S Walker, I see a price for the different grades. I can price it as a collector or dealer. The part I like most is if you click on a price, it gives you a graph of the grade of the price trend of the coin above and below the grade you are interested in. So when I clicked on F12, it showed a graph of the VG8, F12 and VF20, trending from 2010 to current prices. The current price for F12 was $14 for the collector, not dealer. Not out of line but higher than I would pay.

I have no relationship to Numismedia and I am not aware of any issues with it but if you are interested in looking at it, here is the link:

http://numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml

Sula86, Stevearino and abuckmaster147 like this.
  8. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I got a complete war set 40-45 with a bunch of other stuff I bought long ago, The guy who owned them had like $5.50 a piece on all but the 41 S he had $7.50 on that one. I thought I had saw something once that said the 41 S was a low mint mark and was wondering if that was why. But I guess not. :)

9. odinsruleg8

odinsruleg8 Active Member

1933S Walker, non certified, opinions on grade appreciated, bought from auction said estimate was between 275-300$ paid 85$ , worth having sent in for grading ??

Attached Files:

10. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Based on what I can see from the photos, I would grade the coin in the VF range. I think $85 was too much to pay for it. I would value the coin at about $20 to $40 at best. (Not sure about the color on the obverse; maybe just the photo but it could move grade and value downward if it's some sort of damage or unnatural toning.)

I do not think the coin is worth submitting for grading. If it were AU or better that would be a different story. If you are keeping it, I would add it to your Walker collection in raw form.

furham likes this.
  11. RickO

RickO Active Member

I would say it is not worth sending for grading.. good album coin.

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

1941 happens to be my birth year.
    So one of my specialty sets is all the coins (business & proof strikes) in MS-65/PF-65 or -66.
    What you personally get of course depends on your budget.
    I stretched mine so that I could have a nice looking birthyear set.

odinsruleg8 likes this.
  13. odinsruleg8

just had it appraised and shes at the least an AU 50..

14. odinsruleg8

bad camera photo..and need to invest in a decent magnifier for phone..any suggestions?? thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted