1941-D Mercury dime crackout - Nice Upgrade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by robec, Jun 22, 2018.

1. robec

robec Junior Member

I cracked this 1941-D dime from a newer Anacs MS63FSB slab

[​IMG]

Sent it raw to PCGS. Came back last week with a new grade of MS66FB. I had the feeling it would go 65 or 66.

[​IMG]

Jaelus, Spark1951, Blissskr and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

pretty colors. nice grade upgrade too.

robec likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I agree with the 66. Pretty coin.

robec and baseball21 like this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Bob da man......hope it comes back better Brother. Got's a feeling it will. :)

robec likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

It already did...re-read the posting.

green18, robec and baseball21 like this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Shes purdy

robec likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Monumental DUH.......:)

Kentucky and robec like this.
  9. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

A 66 with that toning really makes it worth it.

robec likes this.
  10. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Tell me that part again, about Anacs being all overgraded junk?

11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It's not often a blue anacs holder upgrades. I've had a XF45 bust half downgrade to VF35 before. This, in my opinion, was their most egregious grading period overall.

robec likes this.
  12. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

WOW!! That is quite a spectacular upgrade! I'm always leery of those blue holder ANACS. Maybe I will have to really start looking them over. LOL

robec likes this.
  13. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

He shoots, He scores!!!!

robec likes this.
  14. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Nice coin! However, that leads to the obvious question about the TPGs considering there's a 3 point difference in grade. I'm sure some people wouldn't bat an eye if things were reversed; ANACS are overgraded. But one could make an argument that newer graded PCGS coins are overgraded. Just a thought.

robec likes this.
  15. robec

robec Junior Member

There is no doubt about it that PCGS, along with NGC and Anacs have bunches of overgraded coins. They also have their fair share of undergraded coins.

In the case of this particular coin there wasn't a doubt in my mind this was no MS63. It has a very good strike, luster, nice color and little if any spots or distractions. This one bothers me a lot more in a 63 holder than a 66 holder.

I definitely see your point on overgrading, especially with brown copper. I've seen some BN Lincolns in 65 and 66 that should be closer to 64, if not QC. I am in favor of more conservative grading than what we've seen lately as long as the pendulum doesn't swing too far in that direction.

jtlee321 likes this.
  16. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin!...it's been my experience with ANACS crackouts lately that all the ones I've sent in have upgraded to my expectations...I still have bunches of slabs which will upgrade without a doubt, but may not be worth the cost in the long run.

robec likes this.
  17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

From what I have been hearing, that pendulum has swung quite a bit into the conservative side. I clearly agree with the grade given, at the same time, I'm a bit shocked that PCGS did not give it a 65. I am very happy for you that your coin received the grade it deserved. :)

robec likes this.
  18. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Being the lower of the two grades doesn’t automatically mean that the lower grade was accurate or the right one. You’d be hard pressed to find people that are submitting and seeing the grading first hand who would agree that they’ve been over grading.

This was simply the case of an undergraded dime that he had the skill to recognize

Dave Waterstraat, wxcoin and jtlee321 like this.
  19. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Exceptional coin and eye appeal. A candidate for a CAC sticker?

20. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I agree with you about this coin. What bothers me is that someone paid to have this coin "professionally" graded and didn't get an accurate grade in the first place. I can understand a point, maybe two of difference when having a coin graded multiple times, but three? I agree that the OP coin was not a 63; at least from the photos. From what I've read in comments in other threads, if PCGS graded this coin 5 years ago would it have made 66? The same question would be for NGC as well.

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Very nice eye on your part!

Draft saved Draft deleted