1941 Cent Error? Large slanted 1

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by WillMK, Apr 20, 2010.

1. WillMK

WillMK Junior Member

Appreciate any help you can give on this. I know little about error coins.

1941 Cent. Last 1 in date is large and slanted. Any opinion of how and any other errors like this for 1941?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,

It's not an error and we see this question frequently. We also see this on 1940 dated cents and the coin ends up looking like a 1941/1940, which it isn't.

This kind of thing happens on cents of all dates. It is actually damage that was done by a counting/coin rolling machine. It moves the metal and after awhile as the coin wears, the damage blends in fairly well with the rest of the coin.

Most people would rather believe that it is an error of some kind but truly, it is damage that occurred a long time ago.

Thanks,
    Bill

4. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Hi Bill
    Where ya been? I've been beating my head against the wall on this subject for several days now. there are at least 4 threads currently on this subject!

Richard

5. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Yep, just post mint damage.

6. coolcoins

coolcoins New Member

Yea post mint alright

7. WillMK

WillMK Junior Member

Thanks. Sorry, I should have done more research on this one before asking. It wouldn't have taken long to see the other threads. Appreciate your patience.

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Back again jazzcoins?

9. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I have learned a lot about this coin from the guys here in the last few days. And I can share this with you. The last 1 is actually displaced by the hook on a shotgun wrapping machine. Evidently these coins were rolled early and damaged before much toning occurred. There are many of them out there, because nearly everyone it seems has one and a pic they can post. The machine damage seems to be very uniform, because these look so much alike. It should also be noted that there were NO over date punches on Wheat Cents (per info in the forum).

It is still a neat coin in my opinion, because it certainly starts more conversation than the normal 1941. The consensus here seems that they have no market value, but should be hung on to.

Your coin is a bit different than the others I have seen pics of, because your 1 is not radically tilted. The thread (mis-named by yours truly "1944 slant 1 cent") will give you all the information the pleasant experts here provided. Even when presented with obviously idiotic queries about the process that inflicts the damage. There are more pics on that thread.

Cool coin, great find IMHO.

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Draft saved Draft deleted