1941 Canadian Penny DDR...possible die crack.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by DorkNerd, Feb 14, 2019.

1. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

Hello,

I recently started back in to coin collecting. I have recently purchased a grab bag of random coins from around the world. In the two purchased, I've actually had luck with a 1859 French Centime and a few other cool gems.

This brings me to this next coin in question. I'm seeking the help of anyone able to properly identify the authenticity and verify that I am actually seeing what I think I'm seeing. The pictures below show what I've noticed so far. Also this is a Newfoundland coin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Your coin looks like it could have a bit of a Lamination type defect near the T.
    I think your photo is Scoped In a little to much.

enamel7 likes this.
  4. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

Here's the best I can do. I ordered a usb one so if this doesn't help, then it'll have to wait a little while. I also traced out something new I just noticed, there seems to be a circle just on top the T of cent. I'll include a photo where I trace what I can see better with my eye than what my crappy smartphone camera can. Sorry...I tried.

Attached Files:

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I'm still leaning towards the lamination. The Lump is a little perplexing, looks more like die damage. The circle can be part of the lamination error.

6. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

Do you see the double die on the base of the 1 though? That's what I'm really trying to confirm. The crack is just something odd I discovered after I had better tools to view it. I'm also using it to examine a 1943 Steel Penny I have that may be double died on the date. These are my tools I have on hand right now.

Attached Files:

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

8. DorkNerd

DorkNerd Active Member

Would you recommend I go through sending it in to get it graded? I don't have an account yet. And yeah I saw that, I just wanted to see if I truly had a double die variety.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I do not recommend sending to grading.

Draft saved Draft deleted