1940's error coins from hunting today; strikethrough, lamination, clips, chips and breaks

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by i2i, Jun 25, 2019.

1. i2i

i2i Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. i2i

i2i Active Member

4. i2i

i2i Active Member

I like these old timers! 20190625_214522.jpg

5. Travis wimer

Travis wimer New Member

CM190619-014200004.jpg CM190619-014200004.jpg CM190619-014200004.jpg CM190619-014200004.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Travis wimer

Travis wimer New Member

Anyone help me on this

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hey.. Start your own seperate thread.

8. paddyman98

@i2i The second 1944 is not a clip but damage.

9. Travis wimer

Travis wimer New Member

Sorry new to this

10. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

IMO I think you would get more replies if you didn't post so many coins on the same thread. Or, maybe you don't want any replies?

i2i likes this.
  11. i2i

i2i Active Member

Always mr negative. Its real.
    I thought you'd question the string (wire?) on both sides of the 1920. Not to mention that it is included in "1940's". You're slipping.

12. i2i

i2i Active Member

The clip at the end of the planchet pinched and lifted, leaving what is equivalent to a lamination error. You can see the top of the lettering of the "I" and the "N" actually on top of this psuedo-lamination copper. This strip was pressed down during the mint but has lifted up over time, just like a lamination error. 20190625_165440.jpg

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Mr. P., you should know better than to disagree with him.

never-argue-with-stupid-people-mark-twain.jpg

Chris

Shrews1994 and paddyman98 like this.
  14. paddyman98

No.. Just no

15. paddyman98

:banghead:

16. paddyman98

Negative? Thanks.. I'm totally done with all the garbage that you post here.

You know what's real? Your BS!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  17. Wanderingbark116

Wanderingbark116 Active Member

Wow. What a snotty reply. Why are you so rude??

Shrews1994 and paddyman98 like this.
  18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I agree with @paddyman98. The OP has been posting for awhile and has gotten accurate answers as well as error reference sites from which to learn. It’s disappointing that he insists that obvious PMD are mint errors.

But, maybe we can salvage this thread into a learning opportunity for new collectors with an interest in errors and varieties.

Take the coin that the OP is insisting is a clipped planchet. Many times, a new collector will see the missing area. But to a hobbyist who has done some research, they can easily see that the edge has lines parallel to the top/bottom. These lines are from a grinder or some other abrasive tool. True curved clipped planchets have a “punch and tear” surface of the clipped edge as shown in the pic below (from www.error-ref.com). No grinding marks.

upload_2019-6-26_12-21-10.jpg

Also notice how the rim is strong right up to the missing area. The rim on a true clipped planchets will always be weak/soft next to the clip. There are other ways to verify a curved clip as well. The following site has a really nice explanation of the 5 characteristics of a clipped planchet. After a few minutes, even a newbie should be able to tell that the coin in the previous posts is not an error

http://www.error-ref.com/_curved_clips

BTW: www.error-ref.com is one of the sites that new collectors with an interest in errors should book mark.

I know that new collectors and lurkers reading this thread may be concerned that the OP has been treated rather harshly. He is a special case who occasionally insists that obviously damaged coins are errors. Many of the members on CT enjoy helping new collectors. Sometimes we don’t have time to provide an in depth answer like the one above, but you can be assured that if 2 or 3 opinions are saying the same thing, then that’s what you have. Hope this helps.

@i2i You do have a couple laminations (the rev through the C in CENT and the 1944 with the line running from the S in TRUST through the coin), but a couple of the coins are have too much circulation damage to determine anything. The 1920 is scratched. It's easy to see the displaced metal, which is a dead giveaway that it isn't a strikethrough

Mernskeeter and paddyman98 like this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's late enough that @paddyman98 has had his coffee. That's why he provided a nice truthful answer. The response by the op tells me he got up late and hasn't had any coffee yet.

All I see, except for the one lamination error, is damage.

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. Wanderingbark116

Omg!! No!! I was calling @i2i rude! @paddyman98 freaking rules!

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. Wanderingbark116

I've never seen @paddyman98 be rude! He is extraordinarily patient with all of my nonsense and all the other nonsense on here!!

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted