1940 Steel Penny-Questions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Completed, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Completed

Completed New Member

I have what I believe is a 1940 Steel penny. I was looking for some information on it since I can't seem to find any info online about it at all. It is magnetic, I checked after a local coin shop I called said it could of been dipped in acid but that putting a magnetic would disprove this.

Any information would help, thanks!

Edit:
    You can see on the side it looks like something rubbed off and looks tarnished. I have no way to weigh it at this time but if you guys still think I should after seeing theses pictures let me know.

Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Zach DuBois

Zach DuBois Member

That looks similar to two 1950s pennies I have. I believe that they are dipped in silver because of the luster it gives off. That is not steel because that is showing you your reflection on the coin, steel doesn't reflect like that.

4. Completed

Completed New Member

Silver is not magnetic nor is copper(zinc), and this coin is magnetic which is what is confusing me;

5. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

But chrome plating is magnetic. Your coin is definitely plated.

mikenoodle and BadThad like this.
  6. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

chrome plated novelty coin, plated for jewelry.

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Steel planchets were not made, or even considered, in 1940, therefor your coin cannot be steel. Your coin has been electroplated with chrome or nickel, both magnetic metals. Your coin has been damaged OUTSIDE the mint.

fish4uinmd and paddyman98 like this.
  8. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Can a magnet pick it off the ground or are we talking 'some slight attraction' only?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It appears to be a coin plated post-mint, which would make it a form of PMD, or "Post-mint damage".

10. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It's a novelty reprocessed cent similar to the tens of thousands of 1943 cents that have been reprocessed over the years.

11. JohnV

JohnV Active Member

That looks like a 1988D penny I found a few weeks ago. The one I have is very shiny, not quite the right color of a normal penny, and the rim looks rounded and polished.
    IMG_5320.JPG IMG_5322.JPG IMG_5325.JPG

12. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I recently found a penny (I believe it is a 1993-D) that is a shiny silvery color. The guy at the local coin shop said that it is genuine and is an error coin and was not plated.

Eaglefawn likes this.
  13. rickmp

Did he make an offer? No? Then it's not an error. After leaving the mint, it's had its copper plating removed somehow.

14. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

15. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

The "guy at the coin shop" is mistaken, lol.

non_cents likes this.
  16. rickmp

And I think that, if you reverse the polarity, you can strip the copper from the cent.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Mercury will turn cents a silver color. I did this as a kid. Today we know that playing with mercury is a really bad idea.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yep. But it will also strip some of the zinc as well so the final surfaces will not have the smooth surfaces or luster that an unc coin would have.

19. Jenni50

Jenni50 New Member

I have a 1940 (plain) penny silver in color. BUT it's not steel because it's not magnetic.
    It's been in a coin book for years, so it shines.

Where can I find a value or story?

Jenni50@aol.com

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome to the forum. The first thing to do is weigh the coin. That will help you get good answers about the coin. Images are also helpful.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Necropmongers.........

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted