1940 s nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cmore, Sep 23, 2012.

1. cmore

cmore Member

Hi
    I have a 1940 s nickel with the image of a washington quarter on the obverse and reverse of the nickel. On the reverse of the nickel i can see the wings of the of the washington quarter on the reverse of the nickel i can see the outline o
    f washington portrait. I dont know if im explaining this very well but i took pictures i hope they are good enough so u can see what i see. I was wondering what kind of error this is if it is one and if it is what kind of error is it and is it worth anything? Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Gonna need much clearer, and larger pics to see anything conclusive. Also take a straight on shot with the coin sitting upright, both sides.

4. cmore

cmore Member

Ok thank you. I will do that now.

5. cmore

cmore Member

new pictures

Hopefully these are better

Attached Files:

6. cmore

cmore Member

I know they arent that good but thats the best i could get from my camera im sorry.

7. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Is it the same size as a regular nickel? I can make out a depression in the shape of the top of the eagle's wings, and I can see that the depression goes under the lettering and does not disturb it. What does it weigh? Please weigh with a scale that goes to .00 grams or finer. Wish the photos were more clear :(

8. cmore

cmore Member

Yes it is the same size. When i first saw the nickel i didnt see the impressions right away it wasntt real obvious when i first looked.at it. I wish i.could get a better picture for ya im sorry. Do you have any idea what it could be? And i will look.into about weighing it where could i get a scale like that. Thanks!

9. silentnviolent

Just to clarify: It is a depression; it is not raised, correct?

10. cmore

cmore Member

Correct it is an impression it is not raised.

11. cmore

cmore Member

I mean depression

12. silentnviolent

Looking closer at what I can see, the tops of the impressed wings do not match those of the washington quarter. It could just be the fuzzy pics, but it looks very round at the top, whereas if you pull out a quarter and look at the wings, they are more pointed at the top. also, at the base of the 'wing' on your coin (base meaning the portion that would be closest to the body) it is very thin on this nickel, whereas on the quarter, the base of the wings extends from the top of the eagle's breast all the way down to the eagle's feet. One explanation could be that it may match up with the top layer of feathers on the wing.... It's got me wondering, but unfortunately until you post clear pics that is really all I can say. It is definitely intriguing, and regardless, worth setting aside. Good eye! And welcome to the forum! Good luck with the photos!

13. cmore

cmore Member

Thank you so much!!!! And i will work on the pictures.

14. silentnviolent

You're welcome! I can't wait to see them.

15. cmore

cmore Member

new pictures

Hopefully better.

Attached Files:

16. cmore

cmore Member

Your right the wings looked rounded at the top but i got a quarter and i stacked the nickel on top of the quarter and it matches up perfectly. I will hold on to it like u said thank you very much for your time.

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

About weighing it, if you have a college or university close by, you can take it into the chemistry department and ask someone to weigh it for you and they can do this to a ten-thousandth of a gram. If no college or university, could try a high school and they could probably do to a hundredth of a gram.

18. cmore

cmore Member

c

I live about a mile from Rowan college im gonna try there tomorrow thanks so much. Also i went to 2 coin dealers earlier today both said that they think it could be a double denomination strike? Both said they werent sure thou because of how faded the image looked on the nickel but they said that it may look so faint because its over 70 yrs old. The one guy h said to have it checked by sending it somewhere i forget where he said but it would cost around 50$. I just wanted to see if you knew what the place is and if it cost that amount. Sorry for all the question and thanks.

19. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

It can't be a double denomination. For it to be one it would have to be a nickel that was then struck with quarter dies. Most of the nickel design would then be overstruck and you would see more of the quarter design. It's impossible for a nickel planchet to have been first struck in a quarter press and then struck as a nickel. It would expand the diameter to the point where it wouldn't fit a nickel collar.
    My hunch, given the quality of the pics, is it's a clashed die.

20. cmore

cmore Member

title

Thank for that information i really appercaite it and i learned something

21. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

In addition to that, the devices would be raised and not recessed as in the OPs images.

Draft saved Draft deleted