1940-S Nickel Repunched Mintmark?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by otis89, Jan 18, 2020.

1. otis89

otis89 Junior Member

Is this a repunched mintmark? It looks to me like there's a second S below the main one. The Cherrypicker's Guide does list a repunched mintmark for 1940-S.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I have the 5th Edition of the CPG, and there is no listing for a 1940-S RPM.
    ~ Chris

4. otis89

otis89 Junior Member

There is in the 6th Edition.

5. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Can you post a picture of the full obverse?

6. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

S/S South FS-501, or at least it looks very similar to it. Would need better Obv/Rev photos with good detail in order to make a better guess. Semper Fidelis

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When referring to the CPG, it always helps to include the Edition #. Some people are still using the 4th Edition. ~ Chris

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

There are different markers for different stages, so as Danomite notes, additional pictures are needed to confirm and attribute. The position and tilt look favorable though.

Danomite likes this.
  10. otis89

otis89 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately, the coin isn't in very good shape. Also, I don't have a good camera for taking pictures of coins. The best I can do is take screen shots from the USB microscope I have. Here are some more pictures of the obverse and reverse and another shot of the mintmark that's as close as I can get.

Attached Files:

11. otis89

otis89 Junior Member

OK. I just figured out I can take much better pictures with my microscope by changing the resolution. If I need to provide better pictures, just let me know. Thanks for all the help!

12. Kevin Mader

Hi Otis - you need full shots of the obverse and reverse. The close shots aren't that helpful. One thing that's missing is the large chip/die cracks on the right roof of the Monticello and through the second U in PLURIBUS. Unless this is a Stage A RPM, I don't think we have a winner. We are looking for a die crack through the hairline and across the lower shoulder.

13. otis89

otis89 Junior Member

These are the best shots I can get of the entire obverse and reverse.

Attached Files:

14. Kevin Mader

Thanks Otis. I don't see the markers on this coin so what you are probably seeing on the mm is a bit of MD. Based on Dr. Wiles book, The Jefferson Nickel RPM Book he lists 3 stages and you don't have any of the markers. Typically, you want to establish the 'item' or 'issue' first and use the markers to dial in on what stage coin you have (the mm might be a smidgeon too high from the base of the Monticello). The only thing left would be a VEDS/EDS coin before the hair line and shoulder cracks which he lists as Stage A, EMDS/LMDS, assuming the mm placement is good. So keep up the hunt and hopefully the process of working to attribute the coin will help you going forward.

Danomite likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted