1940-s Jefferson nickel, FOR $40????

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coingeek12, Jul 1, 2014.

1. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

I looked at his other stuff, guy doesn't know what his stuff is worth, everything is WAY overpriced.

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

May I ask how you would react to someone messaging you for the sole purpose of saying that your coin rings are overpriced?

If you look at his other listings, he's asking $10 for a circ Bicentennial quarter, so perhaps he is like much of the general population in assuming that just because they may not often see such coins, that they must be valuable. Maybe he knows nothing of coins, simply looked at some guide and based his asking price off of those in higher grades, but anyone interested in buying such a coin ONLINE, even if they too know nothing about them, has the opportunity to research and/or at least look into what a realistic value would be. I mean no offense with this, and have no doubt that your intentions were noble, but I'll never understand why when it comes to coins, so many do not think twice about sticking their noses into other people's business.

Bayern1900 likes this.
  5. coingeek12

I would be cool about it and fix my prices, after of course making sure that their research was correct.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ONLY $40!

What a deal.

coingeek12 likes this.
  7. BooksB4Coins

Fair enough, but the point still stands and I doubt you would appreciate messages stating that your rings are simply damaged clad quarters. Maybe he'll be happy that you took the time to help him, I really don't know, but at least understand that not everyone wants, needs, or appreciates such gestures, regardless of how ridiculous their listings may be.

8. coingeek12

Well, I would be upset if someone just blasted me and said: "Your ring are NOT worth 20.00! They are just quarters with holes in them!"
    But if someone calmly explained WHY they are worth less than what i have them priced at, I would happily do a little more research on pricing, and possibly lower my pricing.
    I calmly let the guy know that what he has is an average nickel, that is not in mint state. I also let him know where i got my info. and what the coin is truly worth. I can understand that he may get offended, but we can always hope for the best, right?

9. coingeek12

LOL. :hilarious:

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I have always been of the belief that anyone can ask any amount for their items...and anyone can decided how much they are willing to pay. If those two numbers are not within the same range, a deal will not be done. This is what has been happening for thousands of years and as a result, "reasonable prices" have been established for all goods.

If someone is willing to pay $40 for this coin, then frankly that's their problem. We all need to be responsible for our own decisions and if someone fails to do the proper research before spending money...they have nobody else to blame.

JPeace$ and medoraman like this.
  11. coingeek12

Turns out they thought it was worth a little more than it actually is. Very nice people to work with. And they were happy to learn what they were worth.

medoraman likes this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

I believe this was already established. ;)

I am not quite sure how you "work[ed]" with them, but it's good that they reacted positively. However, everything said earlier still stands and you would be wise to accept that while this may be a hobby for you, the same is not true for everyone; just because you may not agree with someone's pricing, this rightfully does not give a green light to inject yourself into their business.

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, knowledgeable coin collectors buy in the Walmart of the coin business. That does not mean there is anything wrong with people who do not wish to learn how to buy cheaper buying at the Macy's of the world. There is not one absolute price for anything, time and place value is just as important as the good. Why else do restaurants survive when it's more expensive than eating at home? Because people are willing to pay for the time and place utility, and there is nothing wrong with that.

14. CoinDealinGuy

CoinDealinGuy Member

hahaha lol :)

15. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

yeah well if someone wants to buy that at 40.00 then let them. personally i see something like that and i laugh. i think the bigger problem is he advertises it a "one of a kind" and it is not. oh well.

16. Treashunt

Of course it is one of a kind.

He only has one!

Kasia likes this.
  17. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

But they have not lowered their prices. the nickel is still 40.00. So you have accomplished nothing.

18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

So you are predicating accomplishment as being actual price lowering on the auction?

19. Treashunt

to 5 cents?

20. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

yes.

21. coingeek12

He has lowered the prices of a couple items. I am guessing he hopes to get a few bites at what he is pricing them at.

Draft saved Draft deleted