1940 Proof Jefferson ddo/ddr sweet 2 fer

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Paddy54, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

One thing that is a plus about having this time at home is the thrill of revisiting your collection. I have found several items that may have passed my eyes before ,but either missed, or just ring a bell as to what we normally look for as a variety collector.
    This morning I found this 1940 proof Jefferson very much away from where it should of been....it's raw so that is one reason it wasn't where it should be.
    It was in a mylar flip in a kointain .
    So I popped it out while at the desk.....scoped it out .... ddo- 001 & ddr-001 a 2 fer. C:WINDOWSTempE816 - 20200328_095309.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE817 - 20200328_095330.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE819 - 20200328_095641.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE818 - 20200328_095607.jpg

cpm9ball likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I can't tell from your photo is that a reverse of 38' or 40'?
    I was surfing the references and neither Coneca or Brians variety's put's these two die together.

4. Paddy54

It's a 40 reverse. And to be honest I didn't check all the pups. But no doupt there are split serifs and letters on both sides....and having a good number of proof Jeff's there are quite a few ddo and ddr's .
    I sometimes dig deeper but unless it is a major variety I move on....I have rolls of proof Jeff's I give then away all the time to yn's.

5. Pickin and Grinin

The reverse isn't listed anywhere. All the proofs I find are the FS-901 wavy steps.
    Cool find are there any other markers or evidence of the DDR?

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't think the reverse is doubled. I see machine doubling, but I don't see hub doubling.

And, the obverse is DDO-002. DDO-001 is not a proof die.

Danomite likes this.
  7. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

That’s what I was coming up with too.

8. Pickin and Grinin

It may not be the wavy steps reverse but this coin definitely has a DDR reverse. Slight but I see the split serifs and raised second detail. It is not much different than the 901, it can be seen at the bottom and top of the devices. There is not much separation.

9. physics-fan3.14

You can't have an E with doubling to the right and a P right next to it with doubling to the left. That's just not how hub doubling works.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Both sides look like they could be Longacre doubling.

Naturally not exactly, since he was long dead when this was designed

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

12. Paddy54

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. Pickin and Grinin

You are looking at it all wrong. You need to be looking at the fine points of the devices. The doubling actually adds to the devices in the photo posted, it does not take away.

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I usually stay out of the Jeffersons, but I also see what Physic's fan does and agree with his conclusion. IMO, Jim

15. physics-fan3.14

The problem is, the reverse "doubled" image is flat and shelf-like, with no split serifs. I know what I'm looking at, and I think you are looking at it wrong yourself.

16. Pickin and Grinin

I do see what you are seeing, Except I see more than many of the same characteristic of the 901. It is not as strong but it is there IMO.

Paddy54 likes this.
  17. Paddy54

And you are correct....it is a doubled die.....and a lot of Jeffersons both ms and Pr will show the same shelf like doubling yet have the splits to show that it's a doubled die.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted