1940 No Mint & 1950 D Wheat Penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SoCal Mama, May 1, 2024.

1. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

Hello all,

While my boss is out of the office lol... Just wanted to pop in and say hello again and let you know that this is the only photo I have right now but will upload more later today when I get home. The picture is crappy but it is a small date 1940 and clear, not as shown. I know I know...:muted: I should have just waited to post this lol. Sorry

I have done only minimal research on the wheat pennies I have found and of course see only what is posted about the value of these very valuable ones that I definitely so not have LOL! I wouldn't mind having one but that is not the case here..

I have a 1940 no mint mark wheat penny and a 1950 D wheat penny but do not know for one if they are of any value nor do I know what to look for as in condition wise except to check for the lines on the wheat leaves.

Can anyone assist with their knowledge and let me know what to look for? All of your help from the ones who have assisted me yesterday thank you. Maybe you can help me here too?

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

You give me those 2 cents and I will give you my 2 cents.....

SoCal Mama likes this.
  4. charley

charley Well-Known Member

BTW, Is anybody not going to agree that was clever?

alurid and SoCal Mama like this.
  5. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

LOL... You like myself.. are funny creatures.. I want your two cents for free though. :bookworm:

charley likes this.
  6. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

Yes I was trying to get my message out quicker LOL sorry but YES ... Very clever

charley likes this.
  7. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

I think everyone is out to lunch :smuggrin:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  8. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

SoCal Mama likes this.
  9. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

10. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

It's in relation to the "no mint mark". Nothing brands you as a clueless newbie quite as quickly as picking that up from the clickbait YouTube videos.

Now - we all started from nothing, so take it as a learning opportunity. But stop using it.

You should just say 1940.

For more modern coins, some people put it in parenthesis (although this is more common for American Silver Eagles - ASEs - that were struck at West Point without the mintmark. 2021(P) or 2021(W) to differentiate them.

11. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@SoCal Mama

If you are going to be serious about this hobby, get yourself a Yeoman Red Book. You can find a used one even on EBay or Abe’s Books for less than a new one which is not expensive in the first place.

Then go to the Lincoln Cent beginning. There you will find a guide to begin learning how to grade Lincoln cents. It’s a good first step.

Keep posting here…we will point you in the right direction and give you honest, accurate information. Good Luck, hear from you soon…imo…Spark

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

When you can would you be so kind as to post a nice clear closeup photo of the date? I can’t tell if that’s a die clip or not.

13. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

I seeeeee! Okay , yes makes sense ! Thank you so much for that information as I will not use that phrase anymore but you are 100% correct, everything I search that’s all I see being pointed out! No mint mark this and that! This information was very helpful thank you so much

14. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

:smug::smug:
    @Spark1951 This is something I would seriously and will look into purchasing because grading is something that spins me in circles when I start searching values and because I don’t know the grading part I can have a coin from face value to $3,500 but have no clue which one LOL! Thank you so much for the great info! :smug:

Spark1951 likes this.
  15. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

hello @Collecting Nut yes let me get some good pics for you all.

16. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

curling back to you @Mr. Numismatist My apologies for not understanding what you were sending me in this thread as mentioned before even though nobody is newbie shaming me yet LOL … I will be the first to admit that I’m the biggest newbie here at the moment. I want to thank you for even joining my thread and reaching out as there’s never too much information I can receive right now . So again thank you :banghead: I’m not sure if this is an emoji hitting his head on a door but if not, that’s what I’m going for here lol

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  17. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

@Collecting Nut Here you are! The lighting is a little weird right now but just so you can see that other photo was blurry compared to these .

Attached Files:

18. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Welcome to coin talk. There are lots of guides to grading. The Red Book, as mentioned above, is good. You can go online to https://www.pcgs.com/photograde to get some very detailed grading.

SoCal Mama likes this.
  19. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Looks like a ring ding. I mean Rim Ding. No error.

20. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

:D
    @SensibleSal66

For a moment there I thought you were going to say “Looks like we have a ring a ding winner here!” Lol! :smuggrin: Speaking of an error I was going through my older Nickles last night while reading through the link you sent to me and and apparently there’s some with a doubling “T” in the word “LIBERTY” and some with errors in the “star” and thin lettering on the “T” in the word “LIBERTY”. Seems I may have some with these errors if I’m not mistaken.

21. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I'm sure that there is a perfectly good explanation, there aways is. Can you post some Pics please? Maybe start another thread to get more views? biggrin.gif

Draft saved Draft deleted