1940 Canada Cent question

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bill Johnson, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson New Member

I recently acquired this Canadian penny but can not find any information about it. Can anyone tell me something about it? Thanks. I am new at this bear with me.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson New Member

Sorry about the size of the pictures. The coin is silver.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Very unlikely that it would be silver. There is a high school experiment where you coat a copper cent with zinc...that could be it. How much does it weigh?

5. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson New Member

Silver in color I meant. No idea on weight.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

MontCollector and Kentucky like this.
  7. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson New Member

The damage on the obverse appears to be extra metal pressed into the coin. To me, the damage looks like it was with the coin at creation. But, I guess if it were plated, it would appear such.

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't think so. It would be kind of silly to take a true mint error and damage it in a plating experiment. Just probably some old solder.

9. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Definitely post-mint damage. It's been plated and then looks to have been soldered onto a piece of jewelry or something. The globs on the Obverse could be solder or just the plating pooled before it hardened.

10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Too bad about the damage. And the plating also is a negative factor.
    If it were copper and in good condition, as much as 50 cents. But more likely
    10-20 cents. Here's a handy Canadian Coin price guide:
    http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php

11. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

I have a complete roll of 1940 Canadian, if you message me, I would be more then happy to replace the coin that someone sold you. It is not a true 1940 small cent these were copper, and like the other members said it is more likely some type of experiment . I doubt that anyone would melt down silver to coat the cent . The offer is yours for the taking all I would need is your address and I will send this free of charge.

jj00, MontCollector and Kentucky like this.
  12. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson New Member

I have hundreds if not thousands of small Canadian cents. This month I am taking a lot of my Canadian coins to Canada and just spend them for face value. I just had never seen a sliver colored cent before, Thanks all for the information.

13. Dillan

They quit making the small cents here in 2012 , and since that has happened I have seen an increase in people collecting them. Unless they are nuisance to you I would hang on to any of these prior to say 1970 and then dump the rest. the older cents are becoming more collectable then I have ever seen before. If what you have is in the 80s, 90s, 2000s, I would spend them also. You may have to take them to a bank to cash them in I do know if the retailers would take them. I am sure if they want to make a sale they will take them as they are still legal tender. If you are spending silver coins you could do lots better then face value on those. I am sure you are well aware of this, so enjoy your trip to the great white North .Welcome to Coin Talk come back anytime !! We like new people asking questions , and the members are happy to answer. Dillan

MontCollector likes this.
  14. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson New Member

It is more a question of what to do with all of my old Canadian coins. Many of the cents I have are valued at 20 cents. But, I can not sell them because I am a bit isolated from the world and it makes no sense to spend a dollar shipping a 20 cent coin.

15. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Very nice offer Dillan!! Way to go.;)

16. Dillan

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

By who...sell them in bulk

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson New Member

I would like to thank you for your offer. I am an old vet that has cancer and am more interested in less rather than more. Trying to reduce the volume of coins I have. But, again thanks for the generous offer. Bill

19. Dillan

Hi Bill , your very welcome. Maybe you could bulk them together and sell these at a profit like the other member mentioned. that way people would not mind paying for shipping. If the cents are older you should have no problem getting much more the 20 cents a piece . the small cents seem to have taken off somewhat in the last few years since they stopped making Canadian cents. Thank you and Good Luck .

Draft saved Draft deleted