1940 1/4 Anna P/L?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Razz, Jul 10, 2020.

?

PL? Grade

1. Yes pl

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No you are just dreamin'

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Au 55

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Au 58

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. MS 62

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. MS 63

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  7. MS 64

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So I picked up this 1/4 Anna some time ago and more recently a 2019 Standard Catalog of World Coins that I was looking through and cross checking some coins of the 20th century. This is definitely a KM# 531 Bombay minted coin. I at first thought it had some characteristics of a proof coin including square rims at the top of the obverse. However, the rims are not square all the way around. The fields are quite reflective even though my pictures might not capture completely...but a boy can dream that maybe it is a proof like example, right?

Anyway, any experts on this series have any opinions? :D Polish_20200710_201247708.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

64 ?

Razz likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Can't tell PL from those photos, I'm afraid. I'll cast my lot with the majority (so far) and say MS64.

Seattlite86 and Razz like this.
  5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks, yeah I an hoping there are Pups or something that would indicate a PL. Something like the micro dot between the first G in George and the denticles, or some others...

6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Nice coin MS-62

7. jaytant

jaytant Active Member

I’m not an expert in the 1/4 Annas. But pretty much all British India proofs had much squarer edges than your coin. The key points to look for are the rims and denticles... I’d say you have a very nice MS coin...

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks. The 1/4 Anna proofs were struck at the Calcutta mint. According to the Catalogue, some PL coins were apparently struck at Bombay so that is what I am wondering if this one could be..

9. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

I don't like to grade from photos, so all I can say is it seems to be a good example of a standard 1940 1/4 anna, Bombay mint, one of 164,240,770 that were produced there.

Calcutta coins are generally (but not always!) less common than those from Bombay, but their 1940 1/4 annas are certainly not rare, in fact there were 93,516,400 of them-

My "Guide Book and Catalogue

10. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

My "Guide Book and Catalogue of British and Commonwealth Coins", published in Winnipeg in 1971 makes no mentions of Indian proof coins.

11. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I'm worried about the green around the M in Emporer. Depending on how a grader looks at it they could call it environmental damage.

12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I will give it an acetone bath and see if that helps the green.

13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Certainly would be a conditional rarity. Seems like an exceptional strike for as many that were produced at Bombay. Thinking about it there probably would be no PUPs for a "proof like" coin. The 2019 KP book has a line for P/L in 1940 (b); which is where my question originates from. Trying to grade from photos is definitely challenging. Thanks for everyone's thoughts up to this point!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted