1939 P Jefferson Nickel just a ???

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Brandi Wilson, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Brandi Wilson

Brandi Wilson ... a kid at heart

I've been collecting pennies and nickels to start off with only because they're the cheapest for me to buy rolls of. I've got a few quarters I've pulled from my pocket change and one dime I believe has doubling on the obverse but I'm probably mistaken. May be machine doubling or something. But IDK I'm just hoarding them all right now.

Hookman and Islander80-83 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

That's a good strategy. That's how most of us started. icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

Hookman and Collecting Nut like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yup, sounds like me 55 years ago! In the end, you can either keep or spend them and you determine when the end is.

Hookman likes this.
  5. richbeat

richbeat New Member

Looks like you're off to a promising start. Learn everything you can and it gets better! The more you know the better. Even if you overpaid it's not too bad.

Hookman likes this.
  6. Brandi Wilson

Yeah this is the only good coin I got so far. I just wish I could find something cool.

Hookman likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There's no rush. There are tons of cool coins out there.
    Look for a coin show in your area.

Hookman likes this.
  8. Brandi Wilson

Took it out the flip to photograph

Attached Files:

9. Brandi Wilson

Some more photos

Attached Files:

10. Brandi Wilson

Yeah there's not going to be a coin show in my area... But there's a guy at the flea market that sells coins and the pawn shop sells a few. The closest coin shop is 2 hours away and I don't have a car nor somebody that will drive me 2 hours. The reason I got interested in coins is at my husband's work in a restaurant someone paid him with a Eisenhower Dollar. We took it to pawn shop to see if it was worth anything and they told us it was clad and only worth a dollar. It fascinated me though for some reason and I guess I caught the coin bug

Hookman and Kentucky like this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That's definitely die deterioration doubling or DDD. I do not see anything that says it is a Doubled Die. The nickel is in nice shape a keeper for sure.

Hookman likes this.
  12. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Some of us have been searching for years and haven't found anything worth more than a few dollars at best. But, we keep searching and hoping. :)

Hookman and Brandi Wilson like this.
  13. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Does your husband have access to the register till at his work?
    He could find many different coins in that till.
    Some things to watch for are silver dimes and quarters. Wheat leaf and Indian Head pennies. Wisconsin state quarters with the extra corn leaves. Alaska? state quarters with the bear fishing with the extra claw. The 2009 Lincoln Cent Lincoln Birthday commemoratives have some things to look for, including the "Skeleton Finger" on his left hand holding the book.
    Have him bring home all of the Sacagawea, Presidential Golden, and *what's her name* coins he finds and check them for proofs, missing letters and mintmark, and the near and far rim on the *what's her name* coins. ( I forget her name).
    All of those are possible to find in store/restaurant tills. After you search them, resell the nonkeepers some where other than your till(s) that you're searching so that you won't "contaminate" your search areas.
    He can also check for collectible currency for you, such as Silver Certificates, Star notes, old notes with "other than green" seals (red, blue, yellow, brown), and of course the Fancy Serial numbers.

Here's a link for the Fancy Serial numbers :

CoolSerialNumbers.com - Fancy Serial Numbers

All of that ought to keep the two of you busy for awhile.
    Now the only thing you have to do is......Promise to post pix of anything good you find !!

Edit : I forgot about one of my favorite coins Silver War Nickels. From mid 1942 till the end of 1945, nickels were made out of 35% Silver. These are easy to spot and to identify because, first they all mostly look dirty and greasy and second, their mintmark is very large and directly over the dome of Monticello on the reverse. These can be found in tills.

Good Luck

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  14. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, or SBA for short.

15. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

There ya go !!

Thanks. My memory just shorted out on me on that name.
    Thanks again.

TexAg likes this.
  16. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

You bet Hookman, happens to me all the time!

Hookman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted