1939 Nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by VistaCruiser69, Mar 14, 2022.

1. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

A4A68FAF-48BE-43D3-8FD5-6388B67E0CDB.jpeg 3ECE555C-CBE0-4EF5-A25A-962591BB5F2A.jpeg I got this in my change yesterday and was a little surprised how old it is, since it is pretty shiny and clean. Obviously it’s been in someone’s drawer for a while.

I’ve heard of the fake 1939 nickels. How could I tell if this is one of them or not?

potty dollar 1878 and PamR like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The only things I remember is the funky R in PLURIBUS and a dot above the dome just down from the LU of pluribus.

VistaCruiser69 and mrweaseluv like this.
  4. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Yours is not a Henning counterfeit a s far as I can tell. How much does it weigh?

Nice find in the wild though!

Henning Nickel diagnostics.jpg

5. VistaCruiser69

How much should it weigh? I'll get the scale out tonight, weigh it and then post the results tomorrow.

6. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Normal Jefferson nickel is 5.000 grams +/- 0.194 grams. So between 4.806 and 5.194 grams and allow for wear. The '39 Henning is meant to be underweight, but I've not seen information on how much. @Jack D. Young are you able to answer this? Thanks

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  7. VistaCruiser69

Great information. Thank you. I'll weigh it to night and report back on the findings tomorrow morning.

8. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Your scales need to be accurate to at least 0.01 grams (That is when weighed you should see 5.00 grams minimum 5.0 is not accurate as it can round up or down)

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I believe we are seeing the results of the Great American Coin Hunt.
    2019 - Coinciding with National Coin Week (April 21-28), hundreds of the country’s leading coin dealers and collectors will be also celebrating the first Great American Coin Hunt by releasing a treasure trove of collectible vintage coins and paper money notes into circulation.
    I think many of the older dated coins are surfacing in circulation, having been "dumped" in 2019. I myself put about two rolls of old Buffalo nickels in the wild.

Lueds likes this.
  10. VistaCruiser69

I'll post pix of the scale readouts later. But I did weigh the 1939 nickel against a fairly worn 1977 nickel. The 1977 weighed in at 5.117 grams while the 1939 nickel in question weighed in at 4.813.

11. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

Still within mint tolerance for both, as quoted above, so it's a normal nickel

12. VistaCruiser69

Yes, I came to that conclusion last night after weighing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted