1939 Jefferson Nickel

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Cody Ross, Jan 7, 2018.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I'm impressed! You did good:)

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Yeahhh, meds were on time. :D

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I contend that the 39-S Reverse of 40 is the actual key date to the series. The 39-D has name recognition that fuels its popularity but a premium gem example can be found without much difficulty.

5. Lehigh96

You never told me that before, how could we not be friends. Early Jefferson Nickels rule!!!!!!

6. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes, this is EXACTLY true. Here's why, for those who don't know (Lehigh probably DOES):

The changeover from the Reverse of 1938 to the Reverse of 1940 happened fairly early in the production year at Philly, hence the ratio is tilted in favor of Reverse of 1940.

The changeover happened somewhat later at Denver, and the ratio is about 50/50 by most experts' reckoning.

The changeover at San Francisco only happened quite LATE in the production flow, so the Reverse of 1938 greatly outnumbers the Reverse of 1940.

The weirdest part is that there are Philly proofs of both reverses, the 1940 Reverse being the tough one. Almost the entire proof mintage was done early, with a much smaller run obviously done later in the year.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

Easy, I'm not "toning" motivated. :D

8. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I'll say LOL and hope it was a joke.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Meh, maybe 80-90 percent a joke. BP spikes can affect tolerance.

Kasia likes this.
  10. Lehigh96

Makes no difference to me, I will grab all the toned Jeffersons and you can have the rest. What do you think of my new 39-D Rev of 38?

[​IMG]

SorenCoins, Kasia and Oldhoopster like this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

She's a honey! I once "stole" (in that cherrypicking sense) a Philly 1939 Reverse of 1938 in PCGS MS66FS. It's the coin in that Keynote slide upthread sitting next to Rodney Dangerfield. (Lit with an Epson flatbed scanner.)

12. Lehigh96

I have a surprise for you related to this coin, but you gotta wait till I get it graded.

13. Traci

Traci Active Member

I’m just learning about doubled dies so thank you for that answer. I’m almost embarrassed to ask this but I’m putting my coins in a folder and the first slot says “Monticello Reverse”. Would that mean any year reverse just to see what it looks like?

Attached Files:

14. V. Kurt Bellman

You have guessed correctly. In that spot, I would put the “duplicate” with the nicest reverse you have.

SorenCoins likes this.
  15. Traci

Traci Active Member

Thank you so much!!! I’m so excited I finished this! I’m missing three but I’ll try to find them online. image.jpg

SorenCoins likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Okay, on the 1950-D, those were heavily hoarded when they were new, frequently by the roll. They have now dispersed into the market. They are all pretty nice. Be picky.

Cheech9712 and Traci like this.
  17. Traci

Traci Active Member

Will do thanks!

18. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Really nice!!!

Yes just as he said before albums like these have this slot to show what both sides of the coin looks like.

19. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I have the same album full, I found almost all of them coin roll hunting, I highly suggest it! Unfortunately the size was a tad off and a lot of them fell out but someday Ill pick 'em all up and get them back in there. Good Luck!!

Traci likes this.
  20. Mike Sullivan

Mike Sullivan New Member

Hello Kurt if you are still following the thread. What do you know of die rotations on 39 D nickles? And is there a good reference you would recommend on Jefferson varieties? Thanks in advance!
    Mike

21. V. Kurt Bellman

I've seen a few fairly minor rotations in 1939 nickels generally. I am not aware of any special quantity in Denvers, BUT keep in mind, SOMETHING held down production in Denver. So far, the best source I know for Jeffs and varieties that is easy to find is Mega-Red #3, the one that as of today is not the most current one. Wizard is supposed to be shipping #4 out today.

Draft saved Draft deleted