1939 Jefferson (Grade?)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinmelt, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

Found this the other day while roll hunting. I graded it EF-45 but I'm new to grading Jefferson Nickels. Looks better in hand but pretty close to pictures. On the reverse that black spot doesn't really show in hand, odd.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldman

Oldman New Member

Not seeing it in hand, I would say AU58 But Im betting in hand it would turn into at least a MS 60 real fast.

Im trusting you didnt clean it. Do you mind if I ask what kind of roll you found it in? Was it a bank roll you just picked up at the bank?

4. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

Really, that good? Hmm, why the hell did I grade it so low...I'm scared to give anything an MS grading - lol.

No, it's not cleaned. I grabbed $20 worth of nickels from Bank of America a few days ago. That's where I found it. A few others but nothing as nice as this so I tossed 'em back.

5. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

A little tough to tell by the pics, but I would say maybe high end AU (AU55-AU-58) Looks like there is a slight bit of wear on it, other than that, you did pretty darn good! BTW, I could be wrong too, but that's my opinion. Also, check for the DDR of that year too, I don't see it from your pics, but I could be wrong on that too. Nice find man. :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

6. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

Yeah, I thought there was maybe a little wear on the ponytail and maybe in the center hair area. Was comparing to a newer Jefferson. The reverse looks pretty solid might be slight wear if any.

If you click the smaller pictures it opens larger ones (1283x1285). I didn't see any DD on it. I'll look it over again today.

7. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

Also, what is the difference between the two reverses? Type 2 Reverse and Reverse of 38. I looked at a few images on CoinPage but couldn't really see a noticeable difference.

8. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I would grade it AU as well. But I don't think I'd go any higher than AU53. Seeing the coin in hand might change that though....

As for how to tell the different REV's from each other (A hint---do a search here on CT---you can find many things here that you can't find anywhere else.).....here is the best way I know to tell you:

Just so you know---that doesn't mean it hasn't been cleaned.

Speedy

9. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

Oh, I know. I was answering both his questions. I personally haven't cleaned it and under my 10x - 21mm loupe I don't see any swirls or brush strokes.

Thank you for the information. Very helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted