1939 Irish 3d

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by davemac, May 15, 2010.

1. davemac

davemac dave

thought i would share my 1939 3d. with a low mintage 64,000.
    hard to get in this grade. i would not even take it out of the package to get the pics. i was thinking of sending it in.hope you enjoy.
    ps open the image in a new window for best results.

what do you think

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leviathan

Leviathan Irish Amateur Numismatist

Great wee coins.. I have a lot (living here kinda helps) of them.. I always have a fondness for the earlier ones with Saorstat Eireann (Irish Free State).
    This particular one, in Proof, is worth a fair bit of money.... certainly £800 in my old Coincraft book from 1999.

Once I have pulled my finger out, I'll get some pics up.

4. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

cool, like the rabbit.

5. davemac

davemac dave

the proof is one i dont think ill ever own. this one will have to do. and yes living here does help.:hug:

i love the rabbit as well but not to eat. rabbit is a bit though to eat. yes i have tried it. not to bad.
    the how to tell bu from ef coins likes this is the whiskers. one you see one you dont

6. Art

Art Numismatist?

Great coin. I have a number of 3d but nothing from Ireland -- yet.

7. davemac

davemac dave

i like the way you say yet.:hammer:

8. Leviathan

Rabbit is good eating, especially after a good shoot.. that said, the ferrets eat more of it than we would.

I'll get some of my Early Irish money pictured.. like I said before, I always prefer the pre Republic money (the Free State stuff).

Maybe we can do some year swaps if we have doubles etc? I got a kilo of pre Euro coins, and am trying to get a set from each year. I miss the oul Punt coin.. so strange, yet lovely lol

9. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Ah, I really liked the design of the old punt coins, I'm glad I've got a few. Interesting and fun coins.

Attached Files:

10. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

I had been wanting a Silver Coin from Ireland!

I was pretty excited to finally get this Florin. I got it for $3 dollars which lucky for me is even under spot value on the silver content.

Attached Files:

11. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

Most of the other Irish coins I have ever gotten, I ended up giving to my wife. She has a Celtic Cross Jewelry box filled with Harp coins as she calls them that I brought home for her. A few she keeps in flips in the box because they are worth a few dollars :)

12. davemac

davemac dave

well done if you got it for $3. btw your wife has a good eye.
    just my op but a lot of world coins are under valued. if you tried to put that
    on ebay and just mention the word rare. $3 would become $20 very quick.
    great coin thanks for sharing .:hug: i love to see the Irish coins come up

13. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

I always liked that design on the florin.... anyone know what type of fish it is?

14. Leviathan

It is a salmon... it is a big thing here (salmon fishing). All the animals on the Republic of Ireland's coins are Irish animals.

15. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

Very nice 3d! They are really hard to find in true Unc - as are many of the Saorstat issues.

According to this Irish pricing website (I refer to it a fair bit - have some nice early halfcrowns), a nice 1939 3d in MS63 (Unc) is €220!

16. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Can we see some of your halfcrowns? or your 3d?

I got this 1928 halfcrown from a former professor of the classics at Princeton University. He went to Cambridge himself, during the late 1920s I believe, and helped with the rebuilding of Europe after the second world war. His name was Dr. Morris Martin, he married the mother of a US Senator, Dennis Diconcini, anyone from Arizona will recognize that name. I worked for him for around a year when he was 95-96 years of age, Dr. Martin that is.

It's not in the greatest condition, but the man I got it from recieved it in change as regular currency when he was in Ireland during the 1930s.

Attached Files:

17. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

I shall - as soon as I have a USB microscope! My digital camera is just a basic one, and pics are very fuzzy. However, I saw some USB scopes online and I'll be getting one soon. They are quite nice - but I don't have a 1939 3d :( - that price I quoted was from the great online guide to Irish prices.

Then I can take pics of all my coins, something I've wanted to do for a while now.

18. davemac

davemac dave

it might not be in the greatest condition but sure looks good in those pics .
    that sure is a great story.thank you :thumb:

19. davemac

davemac dave

I do not take the best of pics but you can use a mobile phone and can get a decent shot at times, but dont use those pics to try and sell a coin.here is a expiable of my phone pics.

Attached Files:

20. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

andy: that's right, you mentioned that in a different thread, I forgot.

davemac: thanks for the comment, very nice florin, that is one denomination for Ireland that I don't have in silver. Very nice one.

Draft saved Draft deleted