1939 GB farthing question

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by justyn p, Jan 15, 2022.

1. justyn p

justyn p Active Member

This 1939 GB farthing is in nice condition there’s some flaws on Wrens Brest there’s various prices knocking about what’s your expert opinions on the value and condition please

D3712433-C143-4DFE-82AB-FB2906E481FC.jpeg D82F2B5C-60AA-42CE-904B-02E3396B094E.jpeg D71DB024-40A1-4814-9DD2-F1A24D52AC6D.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Lots of scratches and gouges so wouldn't make AU even on a stretch. I'd say EF, but still only worth a dollar, maybe 2.

4. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

Its a details coin, North American EF range. As for value, it will be low - when I was working in the trade in the UK, this would get chucked into a kiloware bag. Just enjoy it for what it is :)

justyn p likes this.
  5. justyn p

justyn p Active Member

Details coin interesting I’ve got loads that seem to be in great condition but are a different almost look highly polished effect
    Cheers

6. Mister T

Mister T Active Member

I'd agree on EF and I'd say it's worth 50c to $1. They made a fair amount of them, and I'm not to sure how much circulation they actually saw in the 1930s and 1940s.

7. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

They saw considerable circulation, particularly in vending machines (requiring exact change). People also liked them to get notes rather than shrapnel as change in transactions.

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

While I enjoy going through world coins, I would hardly consider myself knowledgeable enough to venture a guess on price, but feel previous posts of it being Fine to Extra Fine seems about right.

9. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Plenty of marks and it looks like it has been cleaned with the ring around the wren indicating ponded (possible) cleaning solution. It's rummage bin or bulk lot material, so I'd be over the moon if I got a quid for it.

10. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

n the whole of the 20th Century, the 1939 farthing had the second biggest mintage figures, 31.4 million, after 1943 with 33.3 million. The lowest mintage was 1956, the last year they were produced, with 1.996 million.

My rather old edition of Spinks, 2016, gives the EF value as one pound.

To be honest, I am at a loss to explain the large quantities minted between 1939 and 1946 - 216.5 million. As a child, often sent on small shopping errands, I remember the farthing appearing on price tags, but the coins themselves were rarely seen, in my recollection. I remember for example that when bread was still rationed,or at least had a price set by the government, the cost was 11 1/4d, but if the total bill in the baker's ended in one or three farthings, the shopkeeper would generally round up or down to the nearest penny.

And on a personal note, in my last year at school, we prefects in the Upper VI had our own dining room, where I was once challenged to drink a half pint jug of mint sauce that was provided for the roast lamb. The bet was one shilling, and when I won I expected the money to be paid at once. My friends refused, saying that they had to collect the money (collect ONE shilling???).

Two days later, they paid me with 48 farthings, which apparently had taken them considerable effort to collect - this was in 1958 or 59.

I still have those 48 farthings, which range from Victoria (including a moderately rare1875 H), Edward VII, George VI and Elizabeth II

11. Bardolph

Bardolph Active Member

The first part of my reply went missing!

My opening sentence was to the effect that the 1939 farthing is the second most common date for farthings in the 20th Century, with 31.4 million minted, after 1943 with 33.3 million

12. Mister T

Mister T Active Member

Interesting - in Australia the smallest coin is currently the 5c piece but (when cash is used at least) no one ever rounds to the nearest 10 cents or whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted