1938 Wheat Cent Double Denomination ???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Captain Butch, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Captain Butch

Captain Butch New Member

Hey Everyone I decided to go thru my 1943 Wheat Cents I've been collecting for years and I can't believe what I just found. I'm not sure what to think about it, it's nonmagnetic. I took pics. of it beside a 1943 and 1937 for comparison.Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it's plated.

Not an error of any type.

4. Captain Butch

Captain Butch New Member

That's what I first thought tried to scrape it off with a razor blade. Was wanting some Else's opinion Before I took some emery cloth to the rim. TY it's plated would of hated to ruin a find of a life time. LOL

5. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

You don't have to use an emery cloth;
    take a razor blade, and just put a cut
    into the edge of the coin. You'll see the
    copper in the thin 'cut'.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since the US only used zinc plated on the 43 cent, which was stamped out of zinc plated steel sheet, look at the edge of the coin . If it is the same color as the surfaces it was plated after it was minted, as 43 cents show the steel core without any cuts needed.

Swan likes this.
  7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

And when I think how hard I fought to get one newb to understand the concept of reprocessed 1943 cents... :rolleyes:

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Too large and fully struck to be on a dime planchet (although a weight would also be a goo indicator. If it was on a dime it would weigh about 2.5 grams) Not magnetic so not nickel plated. Probably either silver and zinc plated.

Draft saved Draft deleted