1938 Roosevelt Dime? Error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Will Beta, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Will Beta

Will Beta New Member

I found this 1938 Roosevelt dime. I am in love with it and I'm trying to find out as much information about it as possible. I'll point out I am aware it is a 1988 with an error. I asked myself if it is only damage to the coin. Look at the pictures. I attempted to take the best pictures as I could on my phone. The the rim of the coin is raised at the top right (2 o'clock position). The date is to clean to have been randomly rubbed off unnaturally. "In God We Trust" has been all but eliminated. Even the notches on his face seem to be a mint error. Though this coin is rough, it is a big mystery to me. What is a mint error and what is damage? If someone knows how much this error might be worth, let me know.

-"Long live the collectors"

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Show the edge of the coin.

4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

LOL!

5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

So, let me get this straight. Someone took a 88 and carved it, but the 88 had alleged errors, and you want to know what the "potential" error was or is worth? ROFLMAO!

6. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

It's a damaged 1988-D Roosevelt Dime, mystery solved.

Oldhoopster and Inspector43 like this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged.. Worth? 10 Cents

Inspector43 likes this.
  8. Will Beta

Will Beta New Member

It so very clearly reads 1938...does that not seem strange to be random damage?

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a damaged coin worth ten cents. The Rooselvelt Dime wasn't produced by the Mint in 1938. An error must occur at the Mint. Any alterations to a coin are all damage and you stated that in your opening post.

Please take the time to understand the coin minting process. Welcome to CT.

10. Islander80-83

giphy.gif

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The IGWT also being weak points to a filled die. Due to the random nature of a die having an area "filled" with grease or other debris, anything is possible.

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:banghead:

14. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Someone skillfully turned the first 8 into a 3. It is damaged but still kinda neat. I’d probably save it if I came across it.

15. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

It’s not random damage. It’s intentional damage.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  16. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Will Beta ...Welcome to Coin Talk.

As you may have surmised by now, only accurate info is acceptable on the forum, and that has been offered to you. There are hundreds of experts here, not calling myself one, although I have been collecting for 57 years.

To understand better about errors, go here:
    error-ref.com

To understand better about the die making process and doubling, go here:
    doubleddie.com

People do a lot of strange things to coins. Once you study the info at these 2 sites you will recognize damage and subterfuge applied for nefarious agendas...there are many other sites you will find, but these 2 are 2 of the best. You might consider acquiring a copy of the Yeoman Red Book, too. Any serious collector will keep one nearby.

Hope this helps...keep looking and learning...Spark

17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Appears to be a practice coin for someone looking to pass off fake coins. I'd keep it as an example but it really is only worth 10¢. In fact, please KEEP it so it doesn't hit the market on Etsy or some other place.

18. Boosbuddy

Boosbuddy Active Member

He has it up on Ebay now for $150.00 claiming it is a rare-one of a kind error coin. Item 143472866638

19. Islander80-83

Now that takes guts!!!

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 11.19.08 AM.png

20. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Islander80-83 likes this.
  21. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...what we don’t know is if @Will Beta gave/sold the coin to someone else, who is now the person trying to sell on sleazeBay. We will never know unless Will tells us...Spark

Draft saved Draft deleted