Featured 1938 New Rochelle, NY Half Dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by leeg, May 30, 2020.

1. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

There is one more thing I would like to share about this coin:

“Fifty presentation specimens were struck with a single blow on a proof planchet, using polished dies, for coin collecting members of the Commemorative Coin Committee; they were issued in small, dark red presentation boxes (photograph unavailable) and each accompanied by a bronze medal. One of the earliest of these to be auctioned was lot 1707, 1958 ANA Convention sale, reappearing as Hydeman: 694; this had a document certifying that it was the 8th coin struck, presented to William S. Dewey, then president of the Westchester County Coin Club.

In addition, a smaller number (estimated by A.S. as 10 to 14) of matte proofs were struck. One of these came from the John R. Sinnock estate, via lot 2056, 1962 ANA Convention; it is presently in the collection of one client of A.S.”12

12. The Encyclopedia of United States Silver & Gold Commemorative Coins, 1892- to 1954, Anthony Swiatek and Walter Breen, F.CI. Press, Inc./Arco Publishing, Inc., New York, 1981. p. 171.

In all my years of research in all commemorative coins I have no authentic US Mint or any other records that discuss these "proofs." I discussed this with the current president of the Westchester County Coin Club and he had no physical documents around this subject. Even Amy Skipton in her book "One Fatt Calfe" did not discuss this. Since I'm a researcher on this subject, but not from Missouri, I'm still a "show me' person when it comes to my research.

I am definitely not doubting the authors before me on this subject. Just taking a little different approach.

This is what I have found:

Numismatic_Americana_Westchester-Box-C 1.png

Courtesy of Numismatic Americana.

1958 ANA Convention Auction, New Rochelle, p. 10.png

Lot description for lot 1707, 1958 ANA Convention sale.

SUSCC New Rochelle Medal.png

Courtesy of The Commemorative Trail.

Admiral Bowe Auction, p. 102.png

Courtesy of Bowers and Merena, June 1984, Anthony Wyse Collection.

Hyde Auction, p. 22.png

Hyde Auction, Cover.png

Heritage_New_Rochelle_Combo.png

Heritage:

1938 New Rochelle, New York Half Dollar, SP66+, Brilliant and Well-Preserved Specimen Strike

1938 50C New Rochelle, Specimen Finish, SP66+ PCGS. CAC. Reportedly, a total of 50 "presentation" strikes (now called Specimen strikes by both PCGS and NGC) were produced for distribution to members of the Coinage Committee, the Westchester County Coin Club, and local dignitaries. Struck on proof planchets with polished dies, the pieces resemble true proofs -- usually with flashy, brilliant surfaces and mirrorlike fields. Commemorating the 250th anniversary of the French Huguenots settlement at New Rochelle, New York, the Specimen coins are rare and popular among classic commemorative collectors.

This untoned and silver-mirrored example displays the expected highly reflective surfaces and razor-sharp striking definition. A glass reveals only a few faint lines that mingle with the normal striation lines from die polishing. There are no mentionable contact marks or other distractions. Plus-graded by PCGS with CAC endorsement.

. . .(Editor’s Note: As a tie-in to the preceding article, I thought it would be helpful to our members to reprint an excerpt from the April 8th edition of The Coin Collector, Bowers and Merena Galleries, Inc., Box 1224, Wolfeboro, NY 03894, $29 for a full year’s subscription to The Coin Collector and the Rare Coin Review, a value of over $90.)

F.A.R., a customer of Bowers and Merena, wrote: ‘Just recently I happened to come across a commemorative of special interest. It was a 1938 New Rochelle half and was graded MS-65 prooflike. I’ve collected commemoratives before, but I have never owned any commem in true prooflike condition. What a coin! My question is what is the rarity of such a piece? I paid quite a premium for it but to me it was worth it. Are commems in prooflike condition too rare to collect? Any help or suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Even though most of our knowledgeable members are familiar with prooflike commems, novice collectors, who may not yet have studied them, might benefit from the following answer:

QDB: ‘among the 48 different design types of commemorative half dollars minted during the ‘classic’ period from 1892 to 1954, several are known with prooflike surfaces.

‘The most often seen are the 1892 and 1893 Columbian Exposition halves, some of which closely resemble true Proofs and may have been intended as Proofs. Some 1918 Lincoln-Illinois halves are somewhat prooflike, especially on the obverse. Among 1937 Boone Bicentennial halves, prooflike pieces are sometimes seen, and it is typical for 1937-1938 Boone and the later Arkansas halves (through 1938) to be somewhat satiny, rather than frosty—and have a surface not unlike a Matte Proof Buffalo nickel of the 1913-1916 era.

‘Concerning the 1938 New Rochelle, I noted in my book, Commemorative Coins of the United States: A Complete Encyclopedia, page 421, that the majority of pieces have lustrous, frosty surfaces, but occasionally an example with a partial prooflike surface is encountered (these are sometimes offered as ‘presentation pieces’). Essentially the same comment is made for the 1937 Roanoke half dollar.

‘It is not possible to collect a complete set in prooflike condition because the vast majority of varieties were never made as such. However, it is interesting to acquire those few that come on the market from time to time.’

SUSCC members, please keep in mind the invaluable knowledge that is at our finger tips. All you must do is to read each and every publication pertaining to our favorite series. When your collections are completed (If they ever are, considering the many directions in which it is possible to go with tie-in material, etc.), you will be gratified you diligently pursued your studies.’ Buy the book before you buy the coin’ isn’t quoted so often among hobbyists just for fun; it is to impress upon all of us that we will be more qualified to make wise decisions when adding to our collections by learning as much as possible beforehand. Attend our club meetings, confer with other society members, and ask questions of dealers specializing in commemorative coins or who at least have an extensive background in them. You’ll find you are enjoying our hobby to the fullest extent, and that’s what it is all about. Only ‘acquring’ commemoratives will never be as fulfilling as building your collection and your knowledge about the history, design, and other relevant facts pertaining to it.15

15. The Commemorative Trail, The Journal of the Society for U.S. Commemorative Coins, Women and Commems, by Helen L. Carmody (R-0007, CA), Spring – 1996, Volume 13 - #3, p. 27.

Worn Out likes this.
  4. Worn Out

Worn Out Well-Known Member

Nice information Lee,

These were accompanied by Silver medals not Bronze.

There are also a few error medals, The word Nunquam is misspelled Munquam. I have an example of both medals and boxes.
    20191218_071252_resized.jpg

ksparrow likes this.
  5. Worn Out

Worn Out Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted