1938-D Walker

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not as rare as the other but it is a slightly rougher date to find. Also in the junk silver buy.
    IMG_5481.JPG IMG_5482.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

A 38 D in a junk silver find is always a sweet bonus. That date has been considered scarce basically since it was minted, so it has never been considered "junk". Good for you man.

4. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Collector Nut,
    Really nice 'free range' buy of this scarce mintage. I was lucky enough to afford an unc. example for my expanded 'short set'. (Even the 1938-P is a bit pricy.)
    Regards,
    J.T.

5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Shame about the scratches, but a great find nonetheless.

Copper lover and Collecting Nut like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

At least none of them are cut into the coins surface but what do you expect for under $8.00 in a semi-key date? I'm surprised it was in junk silver. This is not a recent buy for me as I've had stored for awhile. I'm slowly getting the time to go through them.

Copper lover and Bradley Trotter like this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Great catch, congrats.

8. Collecting Nut

Thanks

Copper lover likes this.
  9. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I'm slowly backing my MS short set to '34. Several pricey issues in there....so much so I may settle for AU for several and I may as well settle for AU for the '40-s slot as well. Very tough to find a respectable strike....

10. Collecting Nut

You got it and best wishes on completing your set.

11. J.T. Parker

Hello 'C-Nut',
    I began my Walker collection by getting the 38-D in MS-65, so I'm keeping all other set purchases the same and white. Would like to go back as far as 1934 in MS-65
    but don't think my S.S. check is up to the task..Ha!
    J.T.

12. Collecting Nut

That I understand. I have low bills so mine stretches a bit but it has its limits. I'm not sure if I have a complete low grade set of these or not as I'm working on a 64 or better Peace Dollar and a Franklin Half at the same time. There are some expensive coins in those sets. Only 1 Peace Dollar to go and I've been looking for over 6 years. As you can see by my recent posts I have the keys and the semi-keys in low grade Walkers. If I don't have them I could probably get the missing ones in junk grade to keep the set low but I really want to finish the Peace and Franklin sets first.

J.T. Parker and Dave Waterstraat like this.
  13. J.T. Parker

C-Nut,
    I like both the Peace dollar and the Franklin halves, albeit a bit chunky design..guess it's that I have fond remembrances of 'growing up' with the Franklins, being born in '44....Many a neighbor's yard mowed for a Franklin half. A set of them in MS-64
    would be an accomplishment for sure.
    I would be happy just having the 1921 Peace dollar in MS-64 it being one of the keys.
    Maybe after finishing my Walker short-set++.
    Best Regards to All,
    J.T.

Collecting Nut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted