1937 Texas Centennial Half Dollar - Authentic?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BaconSlayer, Jul 20, 2017.

1. BaconSlayer

BaconSlayer Active Member

Hello, I need a little advice on a coin I picked up at a local coin club. It is a 1937 Texas Centennial Commemorative Half Dollar that has some reverse damage, die cracks or is it a counterfeit? The coin is worn with mushy features and 2 large die cracks from the angels' right wing down thru 'REMEMBER'. Here are some pics. Thoughts???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keepright likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looks like it was someones 'pocket piece'. I vote genuine.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I believe that is a Lamination.. Not a Die Crack

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What's the deal with the lines in INDEPENDE'N'CE?

I don't like the look of it, not one bit. Those extra lines in INDEPENDENCE CENTENNIAL just look way too much like extra features I saw in a counterfeit Walker some years ago.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Looks like pics went on vacation !

7. Keepright

Keepright Member

I'm sorry only penny's.but there's plenty of people here that would help you.did put a magnet to to yet.it should be sliver.

8. BaconSlayer

Yep, tried a N52 Neodymuim magnet, does not stick.

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Technically a delamination

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. BaconSlayer

Ok, so I have seen the same "error" on another Texas Centennial Half. Isn't a delamination unique to a single coin due to a flaw in the individual planchet. So if there are 2 or more coins with similar features it must be a die based error? This image I borrowed from a site that was selling a similar 1937 coin: Scan0709.jpg

C-B-D and paddyman98 like this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Coun-ter-feit.
    Maybe it's the images, but this does not look right to my eye.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Does that other site mention anything of what the anomaly could be?

13. BaconSlayer

It is from a general non-numismatic selling portal and the only description is:
    1937 Texas - Half Dollar Commemorative Token Coin (( Replica ))

C-B-D likes this.
  14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Somebody must be short of something productive to do if they would produce a counterfeit/replica of that coin.

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I don't like the look of it either. Imo looks like an ali special that someone scrubbed clean. I don't know why but they give many counterfeits that super worn look probably in the hopes people don't give them more scrutiny.
    http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/1937-texas-commemorative-half-dollars-copy/387689462.html
    Coin below is an example of the fakes being sold, notice the very similar error.
    [​IMG]

And if you want to confirm it's a fake 100%, coin is almost an exact match being sold as 'replica' here
    http://www.bonanza.com/listings/1937-Texas-Half-Dollar-Commemorative-Token-Coin-Replica-/480409141

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    C-B-D likes this.
  16. BaconSlayer

Yup, its a fake er...copy. Found many examples of it online. Thanks for all the help!!

C-B-D likes this.
  17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Are you going to bring it back to your next coin club meeting and educate everyone? Should be fascinating for everyone... the stuff coin clubs should embrace and appreciate.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  18. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

DITTO

19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

My gut said counterfeit based on the fuzziness of the devices and the toning pattern, which matches characteristics of AliExpress coins. Glad to see a confirmation on that.

I gave a presentation on AliExpress counterfeits at my coin club, and passed around a bag of 31 fakes I had ordered. It was very well received.

C-B-D likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted