1937-D Buffalo DDO and Rotated Die

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by CDNMace, Sep 15, 2013.

1. CDNMace

CDNMace New Member

So yesterday I 'luck-boxed' myself a lucky find in a roll of nickels. Now, I get to add to that luck today. While going through the Buffalo's I notice something on the '37-D... The date and the face profile are doubled. I have a hard time with my phone camera, but it's all rather clear that it's DDO, not MD. (It is clearly raised, and the 3 is misaligned. 1 appears over 1 etc).

There is nothing in the CP's guide, CONECA, Potter's etc., no number. (Of course if you type anything with '37 Buffalo in Google, you know what comes up). If you see something on any list please let me know.

Moving on... Rotation is something I seldom (BAD habit) check. Just happened to notice this one being clearly off when I flipped it.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

The doubling cuts into the design. Mechanical doubling, not a DDO.

4. CDNMace

CDNMace New Member

Perhaps the profile is. You could sell me on that easily. But the rest, we'll agree to disagree. One (1) over one, raised. Raised three (3) over three, and misaligned. I'll try to take a better picture. And the rotation, MD too? lol (jk). I'm not an 'arguer'.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Glad to hear you're not an arguer cause there's just too many of them foolio's on this forum already. :D Anyways, about your nickel. IMHO it's simply too well worn to be worth anything, I mean you may be able to get $3-$5 bucks for it if you're really lucky but it looks like only partial error which is usually not a legitimate error at all. good luck!

CDNMace likes this.
  6. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

non cents is right , this is mechanical doubling and most collectors just ignores this.

7. CDNMace

CDNMace New Member

Profile, yes. I agree and see that.

The date... machine doubling does not cause raised over raised; and misaligned. I'm not sure where the communication breakdown is here? I'm certain it's my bad photography.

Not a peep about the clear as a bell rotation? Interesting. :confused:

:)

8. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I am referring to the date when I say mechanical doubling. The doubling has a "step down" appearance. It isn't fully raised like the actual date. It is flat, "takes away" from the design rather than adds to it, and there is no presence of notching.
    Seeing the strength of mechanical doubling on the profile, it is common to see mechanical doubling on other parts of the coin as well.

I do see the die rotation, though it is minor and within mint tolerances.

9. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

That's because the rotation is within spec (less than 15 degrees). Normally it will take a 30-40 percent rotation to command a premium.

10. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

sorry but I don't think anyone can see the rotation in your coin from the photos. the mint is allowed a little bit of rotation say like 10 to 15% so this would have to be off quite a bit to have a premium for it.

wow! three of us was posting at the same time and said about the same words.

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, if you look at the two photos of the coin in the 2x2, with the date parallel to the bottom edge, the reverse appears to be rotated 10-15 degrees. Not enough for a premium (in my opinion), but on eBay, anything goes.

12. CDNMace

CDNMace New Member

Okay guys. Throwing it out now. lol

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted